Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi! I am working on a bird care guide for some friends/family, and I'd to see some cage setup ideas! Preferably for small-medium birds. The reason is that it doesn't feel right to take some pics off of the web without asking whoever it might belong to. Note that any pics that you post here will likely be used in my bird-care PDF. You can also send post pics of cages on the smaller side! I'd like to show in the PDF that smaller cages can also be entertaining for birds:)

Thanks,

Anè.

Last edited:

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
I’ll attach it just for fun. Btw his harness is there because I am in the middle of training lol so just ignore it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 204
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I keep Pascal in a small aviary cage (flight cage?) and try to keep it decluttered so that he has space to hop/fly from one side to the other, good thing for him to be able to stretch his wings in cases we are not home! Also He and Csilli (the budgie) are usually hanging out during day together in the aviary (which is always open while we are home), but in general they have separate cages. Csilli has a much smaller cage compared to Pascal, but quite large for a single budgie. She got her cage upgraded quite a few times now during years, so I think she will stay very happy with her current one.

Also I found that for birds that were Aviary bred are doing much better in big flight cages. My bird HATED the previous cage, eventhough it was quite large (I think total was 75cmx55cmx113cm, tip of the cage was sitting on 160cm height). since I upgraded to the big flight cage (1mx65cmx185cm) he is much much happier in it, as soon I moved him there he immediately calmed down. I mean, he doesn't really use lower part of the cage at all, stuff get only pooped on, but I guess he feels that he has more space in it, and is less in a feeling that he is "closed". Also I put a busy leafy/jungle background for him to camouflage :D

I'll post some pics later on!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I keep Pascal in a small aviary cage (flight cage?) and try to keep it decluttered so that he has space to hop/fly from one side to the other, good thing for him to be able to stretch his wings in cases we are not home! Also He and Csilli (the budgie) are usually hanging out during day together in the aviary (which is always open while we are home), but in general they have separate cages. Csilli has a much smaller cage compared to Pascal, but quite large for a single budgie. She got her cage upgraded quite a few times now during years, so I think she will stay very happy with her current one.

Also I found that for birds that were Aviary bred are doing much better in big flight cages. My bird HATED the previous cage, eventhough it was quite large (I think total was 75cmx55cmx113cm, tip of the cage was sitting on 160cm height). since I upgraded to the big flight cage (1mx65cmx185cm) he is much much happier in it, as soon I moved him there he immediately calmed down. I mean, he doesn't really use lower part of the cage at all, stuff get only pooped on, but I guess he feels that he has more space in it, and is less in a feeling that he is "closed". Also I put a busy leafy/jungle background for him to camouflage :D

I'll post some pics later on!
It just comes to show how much space they actually need!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
OK, so here is Pascal's flight cage (and Pascal marching because HOW DARE I SHOW THE PHONE)

1644492526647.png

I keep it fairly empty on lower parts so he can jump around. He does chew on his toys quite often. Planning to make more! Also yes, there are a couple of dowels, but note that they are modified, they have dents and all, so they are not smooth at all. I gave them a rough random texture so it is not too bad for the bird's legs. As you see, they;re used only near the food/water bowls.

I keep the water and food bowls completely apart to keep the water clean. This way no food ends up in the water. We have this set up for a year and it works perfectly.

We do use a "tent" for Pascal, or well, a carton tube wrapped with some natural fabric so it's more comfy for him. He doesn't spend time in there at all, only at night during sleep. During day he likes chewing on it because it is fixed securely, and since it is 100% natural and safe for him, I let him be.

-----

And Here is Csilli's cage, quite empty ATM because she destroyed half of her toys, I am obliged to make more!! And some of her toys are being washed ATM, or removed because she was displaying some aggression towards it (not even the tiniest mirrors are ok for her..)

1644492747138.png

And here is an idea what to do with those extra dowels! we used to place them on the doors if the doors were small enough

1644492812710.png

Generaly we use natural perches, harvested by us and thoroughly washed.

I guess hardest part is setting up the perches so they don't get pooped on, or the toys. I don't re-arrange the perches at all, because the bird has muscle memory how to go around the cage. From my experience, they get annoyed if I change the perches, not so much with the toy set up. I don't change the toy set up too often, mostly just rotate. My birds spend most of their day outside free.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
It just comes to show how much space they actually need!
I think the space part varies from species to species! small conures and budgies are very flightly, so huge flight cages are a huge win from them! Slow moving birds like the poicephalus (senegal, meyers, red bellies...) don't need such large flight cages as they are mostly climbers, but they do need A LOT of toys! Of course, if possible, they'd also be happy with a big cage :D

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OK, so here is Pascal's flight cage (and Pascal marching because HOW DARE I SHOW THE PHONE)

View attachment 35625

I keep it fairly empty on lower parts so he can jump around. He does chew on his toys quite often. Planning to make more! Also yes, there are a couple of dowels, but note that they are modified, they have dents and all, so they are not smooth at all. I gave them a rough random texture so it is not too bad for the bird's legs. As you see, they;re used only near the food/water bowls.

I keep the water and food bowls completely apart to keep the water clean. This way no food ends up in the water. We have this set up for a year and it works perfectly.

We do use a "tent" for Pascal, or well, a carton tube wrapped with some natural fabric so it's more comfy for him. He doesn't spend time in there at all, only at night during sleep. During day he likes chewing on it because it is fixed securely, and since it is 100% natural and safe for him, I let him be.

-----

And Here is Csilli's cage, quite empty ATM because she destroyed half of her toys, I am obliged to make more!! And some of her toys are being washed ATM, or removed because she was displaying some aggression towards it (not even the tiniest mirrors are ok for her..)

View attachment 35626

And here is an idea what to do with those extra dowels! we used to place them on the doors if the doors were small enough

View attachment 35627

I guess hardest part is setting up the perches so they don't get pooped on, or the toys. I don't re-arrange the perches at all, because the bird has muscle memory how to go around the cage. From my experience, they get annoyed if I change the perches, not so much with the toy set up. I don't change the toy set up too often, mostly just rotate. My birds spend most of their day outside free.
Wow, wow, WOW!!!

These cages are excellent! I definitely will use these!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Wow, wow, WOW!!!

These cages are excellent! I definitely will use these!
Thank you, glad you like it! Pascal's upper part of cage is a bit cluttered so you cannot really see the U shaped flexible perches I have put! I am fully aware the cotton is not good, but as long it is not overused/chewed on, I keep it. You can see I already wrapped one in vet tape because it started being too fuzzy from usage (those claws make it that way)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'll add a note to people wanting to post here: You can also send post pics of cages on the smaller side! I'd like to show in the PDF that smaller cages can also be entertaining for birds:)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm bumping this thread in case some of you have more pics :)

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).

View attachment 35625

-----

View attachment 35626

View attachment 35627

The cage in 2nd pic looks pretty good. How big is the cage?
I'm thinking about getting my sun a better, more solid cage. But I don't want a 50lb cage that's impossible to move up / downstairs for cleaning.

Rowlet

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Pico - Green Cheek Conure
Pico's cage that's on the smaller side while I'm waiting for my local store to stock the aluminum King's cage that I want

20220814_191543.jpg

20220814_191609.jpg

It's kind of right heavy atm since I try not to put any toys on top of his food & water bowls to prevent toys bits from falling in them

Perches too I try not to put them directly on the bowls. I also leave a little corner on the right with no toys or perches where I put a foraging bowl for Pico (I don't think you can really tell from the photo though lol)

Most Reactions

Latest posts