Cage suggestions?

Thebrave

May 8, 2018
Hi, I have two parrots, a Senegal and Hahn's Macaw. Both prefer to ignore each other in favor of their own personal space so I cage them separately.

I was wondering if "small animal cages" mean for something like ferrets or sugar gliders, etc., would be safe for the birds? They don't care to chew on bars since they have a few toys at a time but the small animal cages seem wider and more spacious than those marketed as parrot cages. They also seem a tad more affordable for their size??

Any help would be appreciated. I also live in Hawaii and it's hard to find one that ships here. I would.like to build an outdoor aviary for them during the day while I'm away at work eventually, but our backyard is in progress for now so new larger cages during the day time, it is!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Small Animal Cages are designed for Small Animals, most commonly dogs.

Parrot (Bird) Cages are designed for Parrots with the most important dimension being their width, which allows space for the Parrots to stretch their Wings.

Take a look at birdcages4less.com and look under cages by breed.

And, yes, having Parrots is expensive.

OP
T

Thebrave

May 8, 2018
@SailBoat thanks I've been scanning those and there's one more site for parrot cages I found (I'll post later, I can't remember what the name is) and have found a few that are possible. I know parrots are expensive, I have just hit more of an unexpected expenses at this time. Just bad timing is all. Not something that will last forever hopefully. Thank you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As an Amazon Snob, this is the cage we have used for thirty+ years with a total of three purchased over that time period.

Lani Kai Lodge Playtop Large Bird Cage
Size: 32"W x 22"D x 64"H
Price: $449.95 on sale at: $399.95

Stands up well to the efforts of Amazons...

The large front door and play top have been a big draw for us over the years...

Most Reactions

Latest posts