cage

buzz93uk

Jan 19, 2015
Hi there we are new parott owners, we have a lovely blue fronted Amazon, we have had him for about 2 months now he has learnt a few words and will fly down when I call him, the problem we have is getting him back into his cage, it can take anything from 30min to over an hour plus to put him away, so from a frantic owner any help or suggestions would be great.:green:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Put his favorite treat inside his cage 15 min before you need to go anywhere. Let him see it as you do it and walk away. He should go inside

OP
B

buzz93uk

Jan 19, 2015
Many thanks but he does not have any particular favorite food, I was thinking of feeding him at night because he goes straight for it 1st thing in the morning, but not sure on other implications that this may affect him

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Is he interested in new foods at all? Like a big piece of brocolli? Would he investigate to see what it is? Birds generally eat first thing in the morning, and just before sundown. So I'm not sure what you mean your going to feed him at night. You could feed him in the morning, and then remove his food bowl during the day and then feed him again before sundown so see if that might help to get him back in.

AP1Miligold

Jan 19, 2015
Media
Alamo, CA
Parrots
"Mango" Miligold Macaw
DOH: 2008 (7yrs as of 2015)
I had this same problem with my bird. We are still working on it.
The way the bird sees it is "I go in my cage and my favorite person leaves or ignores me" which makes going inside of the cage negative.
You're going to have to train your bird. Start by allowing free access in and out of the cage. Use treats to bait the bird into the cage when you don't actually need to put him away. Then practice closing the door with him inside, but open it again. He should learn he gets treats for going in, but won't be locked in every time. Unfortunately you will have to trick your bird into the cage for now. Eventually it should get easier.

Most Reactions