Indian ringneck
Is thus cage ok for this bird
IMG-20220421-WA0000.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
No. Your really need a larger cage. With some wider perches. The dowel are to narrow and will lead to foot issues.
You can shop around for a nice used cage, most of mine i found that way. Craigslist, Facebook market place, other online listing.
Diet needs to include veggies and leafy lettuce like romaine. Seed mix that is light on sunflower seeds . But converting them to pellets would be better. It can take time to convert them and you will want to watch weight. As some birds are stubborn and want to starve themselves. But tgey truly will learn to love veggies!!!
Try some cooked sweet potatoes many burd like those right off. As well as peppers like bell pepper. Any like those right off as well. You can do sprouts from human grade seeds sprout mix , yiu can stsrt with them just starting to sprout. When seed active and sprout it changes the nutrients.

I will look for some links.

Welcome to the forums! Love to see more pictures of your Alexander! I'm fascinated by the species!

Click to take you to info on sprouts snd diet conversion

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I started a long time ago with a way to small cage myself. Over the years I've many different cage types and designs and colors. Until I found my first white box style cage with flat top. Then thst became my favorite, the white disappears against the window, let's in lots of light. The flat top is perfect to put a piece of acrylic across tgen i can set out bath bowls abd0
plates if veggies. Easy to attack rope perches across the top.

If you click this it takes you to the last one I bought for 75 bucks!! I looked fir awhile as I wanted to match my other 3. Even decided to go ahead and buy new but they were out of stock .

You may have other tastes but this is hands down my favorite style .

Thread '2nd SCORE!!!!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/2nd-score.93628/

OP
T

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I started a long time ago with a way to small cage myself. Over the years I've many different cage types and designs and colors. Until I found my first white box style cage with flat top. Then thst became my favorite, the white disappears against the window, let's in lots of light. The flat top is perfect to put a piece of acrylic across tgen i can set out bath bowls abd0
plates if veggies. Easy to attack rope perches across the top.

If you click this it takes you to the last one I bought for 75 bucks!! I looked fir awhile as I wanted to match my other 3. Even decided to go ahead and buy new but they were out of stock .

You may have other tastes but this is hands down my favorite style .

Thread '2nd SCORE!!!!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/2nd-score.93628/
That's way too big for a single bird. Plus I bought my bird tamed like 3 weeks ago its settling in, it's still scared when it comes out and doesn't let me pet or step up on my hand.
Cause I will have it outside most of the time on a perch tree or whatever u call it once its not scared

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
That's way too big for a single bird. Plus I bought my bird tamed like 3 weeks ago its settling in, it's still scared when it comes out and doesn't let me pet or step up on my hand.
Cause I will have it outside most of the time on a perch tree or whatever u call it once its not scared
You can never have too big of a cage. That cage she showed is actually perfect for one bird. If your bird was a budgie a cage like that is OK but the ringneck can barely move in there and as stated by Laura there is a lack of enrichment. Please consider a bigger cage eventually if possible, and add some natural perches and toys some toys. You can easily make them, taking some natural rope and sticking some paper/straws through it can make a cheap and easy toy. If there is bird safe plants in your area you can add some leaves or flowers on there as long as it had no chemicals such as pesticides, etc. Try adding more natural wood, just made sure it's bird safe by googling it. Mostly/only smooth perches in the cage can cause arthritis, bumblefoot, pressure sores etc

Agree with above again, try switching to a healthier diet with veggies, pellet, healthy grains etc. The seed mix has too much sunflower, sunflower should be a minor part of the diet.

Cheers!

Anè

OP
T

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
You can never have too big of a cage. That cage she showed is actually perfect for one bird. If your bird was a budgie a cage like that is OK but the ringneck can barely move in there and as stated by Laura there is a lack of enrichment. Please consider a bigger cage eventually if possible, and add some natural perches and toys some toys. You can easily make them, taking some natural rope and sticking some paper/straws through it can make a cheap and easy toy. If there is bird safe plants in your area you can add some leaves or flowers on there as long as it had no chemicals such as pesticides, etc. Try adding more natural wood, just made sure it's bird safe by googling it. Mostly/only smooth perches in the cage can cause arthritis, bumblefoot, pressure sores etc

Agree with above again, try switching to a healthier diet with veggies, pellet, healthy grains etc. The seed mix has too much sunflower, sunflower should be a minor part of the diet.

Cheers!

Anè
From a seed mix it only eats sunflower seeds and rejects everything else and drops it. Where should I put the plants

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds can be fussy to switch if the high fat junk seeds. But it must be done for their health. Otherwise will suffer malnutrition and lack of proper nutrients, vitamins, minerals, abd can develop fatty liver and heart disease anf die young.

Lots of us here have started out with seed addicts and changed their diet. We have tons of threads on diet and lots of people who hsve been where you are and are willing to help.

Your cage needs to be bigger even when they spend lots of time out of the cage. And needs different perches and chew stuff. There are burd safe tree lists if yiu want to make your own. There are do it your self toy thread too. If money or availability are an issue. I'm big on being thrifty!!

A bigger cage reduces stress and can make it easier to make friends. plus this us a species that is prone to start pulling out feathers, and boredom, lack of chew stuff, and space can contribute to self destruction behavior. As well as poor diet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Where should I put the plants
You don't need to put an entire plant in the cage, just some of the branches or flowers if it's safe.

Here is a list of safe and toxic plants: https://birdhism.com/blogs/news/common-bird-safe-house-plants

keep in mind all plants can be toxic if fed in bulk, it's fine to just let them chew it and even ingest a bit but not eat a lot of it.

Just make sure they have no chemicals on.

Here are safe branches:

Most Reactions

Latest posts