Cages and cleanliness

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I have older, heavy cages that are not as easy to clean as the newer ones I have (I'm moving Serenity and pix into a marginally smaller but significantly easier to clean cage probably tomorrow). For Bonnie, I'm not sure. I might just get her the same cage as I have for Serenity and Pix (a pain to get it home - bus - but its a nice cage and plenty roomy and easier to clean as well).

If I get Bonnie a new cage here, then I will keep those for when I move to California. Or, I could get two more like the babies cage (it'd be roomy enough for two adult lovebirds without cramping at all) and sell the big heavy cages (would give me a bit more room in my room too which is at a serious premium). All three cages would match then also (and they'd all have stands for in California). Ooohhh decisions decisions. Even with the nest box attached there'd be room for them in the cage size the babies are going to live in.

I'm a fan of the bigger the better rule, but I am trying to think of the best thing (mainly the keeping them the cleanest I can) without having to buy a product on and ongoing basis.

Any suggestions?

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I'd sell the old, and get the new!:D I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so if all looked the same in one room, it would look great, hey, but thats just me. I got this really nice cage for my tiels, it folds up totally, easy to transport.

This is when all my birdies lived in one cage, Squeaky was taken out, but he loves the tiels, so his back in, but Pikkie is out now, in his own cage. Not many toys, its when i just got it.
dsc01730.jpg

Goodluck, i had difficulty finding a big cage with the right spacing for the tiels, but this wasnt a bad buy.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Wow ... now my cages as they are look small lol. Lucky teils and squeeky!

Okay, so the cages I have right now for my adult Lovies and Bonnie's cage is almost exactly like it (meaning it’s a different model but obviously made by the same company and the exact same dimensions, which are 18.5Wx18.5Dx26H (they are taller than wide/deep)

The new ones, if I got two more to match the babies' cage, would be 17Wx13Dx21H each so there is a size difference. Right now I have Serenity and Pix in with the babies (they were sound asleep, both somehow standing on a single clothes peg, when I wanted to move them over to their own cage so I just left them in there) and they don't seem really squished. That with the two adults and two babies (who sleep smooshed in a corner).

They get out daily and take advantage of being out and can flap like mad while in the cage without banging into each other. The ones I am thinking about putting them into has a domed top, and have 3/4 front doors with guillotine style doors for food and water as well as another door for going in and out of (the door door and one food door are in the 3/4 door).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yes buy new, :D I too am a bit of a perfectionist, when I got my cages they all had to be the same kinda looking cages. Luckily I found the exact same cage Bucc had for the little guys with smaller bar spacing. When I got Kitos cage it was the same as Buccs, but they had altered the style a little and put a cupboard under it, :( Also its lovely to have nice new cages makes us feel so much better and happier. :D

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
The new cages would be black and the yellow birds stand out so well in black cages. I'm kind of leaning this way. i just really don't wanna spend the money but it would be best I think ... easier to keep clean if nothing else.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
LOL the dillema is similiar to mine about easy to clean versus space - buy new and get the best of both worlds and post a pic or a link to the cages you're looking at. I want to upgrade so bad but have no space :)

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
this is the cage i have for my budgies

http://www.wctropicalbird.com/cages/...30.5 med.htm

ohh i never finished this post. anyway i have that cage ^ above ^^^

It comes in both black and white. i have it in black(just HAD to share that). Anyway i think it's a great deal. Its about 80$ with tax included. 77$ to be exact but hey lets round. i will get a pic of my budgiewudgies in it asap.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts