Cages: To get or not to get

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
So I'm in the market for a nice, comfortable cage to carry Little Ms. Bird in. I've picked out that I want one of the kings cage travel carriers, either the smaller 1214 or the bigger 2029.

Which is where my question lies:
2029 or 1214.
the 2029 seems like an obvious choice sans the fact I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment and it's 30 lbs, plus it's over a hundred dollars more.

The 1214 has nothing wrong with it, but it's DEFINITELY the lesser model and I'd have to spend an extra 40.00 to make it how I want it as it doesn't have anything to separate her from the paper and apparently there is some escape problems in some models. (Birds lifting the bottom and escaping like the houdinis we know they are. I'd like to put a safe mesh over it and solve 2 problems at once)

319.99 - 329.99
ATM2029%20Red.jpg

ATM2029
20" Wide
28 7/8" Length
20 1/4" Height
5 MM Bar
5/8" Bar spacing
29 lbs.
Slide out grill & tray with swivel safety lock
2 swing out feeder doors & cups (Stainless Steel cups available at an additional cost)
1 perch
Patented front door lock with magnetic closure

159.99 - 169.99
51-cum91QEL.jpg

Patented front door lock with hidden magnets to ensure the door does not rattle during transit
Large swing out door. Completely KNOCKDOWN, easy assembly, no nuts, no bolts
Carrying handle
Lightweight 10lbs
2 wooden perches, 1 inside and 1 on the outside handle
Measurements:
Approx. Height: 17"
Width: 12 "
Depth: 14 "
4.5 mm thick bars
5/8 " bar spacing

I'm being wishywashy because the bigger cage is being discontinued, as all their aluminum cages are. I'm afraid if I don't get it now, I wont be able to... but is it really worth it? I plan on taking Ms. Thing around with me quite a bit, provided she'll have it, so I'm not sure what route to take due to the price. I'd get the 1719 if it wasn't vaporized from existence.

And if you all have a better idea for a carrier, please say so. I'm terrible with backpacks, so I'd like to stay away from those.
:green:

Reminder: My bird is a Hahn's Macaw, 12 inches from beak to tip- think sun conure if you are unfamiliar with their size.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
IMHO, neither! After a few times dragging either around, both will end up in storage. Way to heavy for a travel cage.

If you need is to seen with the best travel cage, well great but you will quickly be in the market for two-wheeler to roll these heavy weights around.

The three piece cat (animal) carrier, which is make of 2 pieces of molded plastic and has a stainless steel door opening has been used for over 30 years with no sign of being discontinued! Lot less money and the upper and low plastic section is dish washer safe.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I agree, too bulky and heavy as a cage for short outings. I had ordered the larger one and returned it. It's impossible to carry, like carrying an awkwardly shaped giant cinder block with your bird inside. I considered ordering the smaller one but decided to find somewhere to go see it in person and handle it first. I didn't like that one either. I ended up with one like this, which is lightweight and folds up when not in use.

61fOkRrni6L.jpg

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Get a cat carrier like sailboat said and just harness train ms birdy and walk around with her which sound like more fun for both of you.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
i have the fold up carrier, it's light but still bulky so i use it only when i need an "overnight" home or i want to have him on the patio for some short term sun. Otherwise i use a much smaller and lighter tote for vet trips, etc.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
The weight doesn't really bother me... These may not be short outings, it'll double as her sleep cage. I'd like it to be sturdy, so I expect it to be heavier.

I guess I could get one of those cheaper prevue powder coated cages and fix a handle up out of a rope perch... I just want her to be safe and comfortable. My problems are all fixable. I'm 24 so the weight isn't much of an issue as long as it's under 50 lbs.

Idk. I really like the idea of the aluminum because I can take it outside on a rainy day and not worry. I do live in Alabama. I'll give it more thought, but I dislike kennels. My dog would get confused...

EDIT:
So it turns out a lot of those //cough// "PARAKEET" cages or Cockatiel cages are quite light due to their horrible, not really parrot cages, nature. They weigh about 10 lbs and are relatively spacious. Would be a good carrier attach a rope perch/handle to it. I can pick up one at my local petco or the pet depot.

I like this one:
51qj-TMkoqL.jpg

"Cage Connection Contemporary HouseBird Cage with Hinged Door, 22" 16" x 34", Gun Metal Grey"
I can tell its that sturdier metal, and not that flimsy, dangerous plastic covered ****. This seller has a few different designs.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
One of the consideration for any cage is how easy is it to clean, and move a Parrot in and out. The smaller the primary access door the more of a pain they become.

They are no way as nice looking, but the basic rectangle shape with a large access door (full height of cage) is the best all around cage design.

Keeping the cage design simple will give you far more time with your Parrot!

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
This whole venture is so I have more time period. If I can get her a VERY NICE, sturdy secondary/sleep/travel cage I can take her to work with me and not worry. I can run to the courthouse, drop something off with her in it, and come back and not feel like a terrible person because she was kept in a "Carrier" while I was gone.
This is another reason I'm not worried about the weight so much. It's simply worth it. I'd rather not have a full size stand up cage at work, just something I can pick up and sit down on my shelf here so she can come with me. Boss has already OKed it as long as she's not a liability.

so If I can find a DECENT sized cage with NO STAND I can plop it on down here and be fine. I'd prefer it weigh around 50 lbs or less just for my sanity. Maybe one of those acrylic cages that are clear? I've heard those are pretty light. It'll probably be smaller than her home cage, but not something I'd WORRY INCESSANTLY over, NEVER more than 2 hours in it. If it's more than 2 hours, she comes with me.

Like dis.
Alleged sound reduction bonus points.
Harder to clean negative points tho...

I'm not exactly worried about in/out ability as the goal is to keep her out of it but comfortable with it as much as possible. Hence my desire for a cage more than a travel carrier. Cat Carriers are terrifying even for my daschund, who LIVES in a crate half the time. He hates them and I trust his judgement. He'd go into an open cage over a cat crate anyday.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well get the 1214 (the smaller of the two original) style cage then!

Large door, easy to clean and has a top perch that doubles as a handle! Also, the size and top handle will let you use a towel (with a handle slit cut into it) to act as a cover when out and about.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
They can escape from the 1214 it turns out... which is what caused the wondering to begin with... I'll keep looking into it. I hope I don't sound annoying, I'm just very indecisive.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I agree, too bulky and heavy as a cage for short outings. I had ordered the larger one and returned it. It's impossible to carry, like carrying an awkwardly shaped giant cinder block with your bird inside. I considered ordering the smaller one but decided to find somewhere to go see it in person and handle it first. I didn't like that one either. I ended up with one like this, which is lightweight and folds up when not in use.

61fOkRrni6L.jpg

I use this cage for my three fids, I have one for each. It works very well for short trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I have travel cage 1214 and I think it is just too small for my Amazon.

it does not have enough height once you put in a perch either his tail feathers are sitting on the bottom tray or his head is to close to the top of the cage.
Also once you get a food bowl and then a water bowl inside he has even less space.

He is a Red Lored Amazon so he is not even one of the bigger zons.

What I do like about the cage is that it is super sturdy,
its great to walk around with transporting him from place to place.
but I feel guilty if we take him on a trip and I have to keep him inside this cage for even a short time.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I spoke with my boss and he said if I get a larger, acrylic cage (low-mess for the floor) I can keep it at work for any time I want to have her at work. I'd just need a harness and one of those little totes to have her in the car now. I could do a cat carrier for fold up for transport/car rides alone; I was just worried about her time at the office with me. I work for 6+ hours a day, so I'm happy I can take her to work with me. My boss is awesome. I would feel TERRIBLE if I took her to work and had to run an emergency motion across town and to trial, leaving her in a crate for 3 hours. In an actual cage I wouldn't feel SO terrible especially the size I'm looking at.

He specifically prefers the acrylic due to the sound reduction, safety of child fingers, and mess loss. I found a couple that are 24 x 24 x 28-30 and are roughly the same price, with pull out trays. They're both roughly 30 lbs which makes the 2029 instantly disqualified as they're much bigger and more capable.

Now I just have to figure out which one haha.
http://www.windridercreation.com/acrylicage.html
http://www.pennzonidisplay.com/smallacryliccagenobase.aspx

I may just go ahead and get the Acrylicage 4-5 and get her that extra space. I talked to the guy who makes them and he said he'd drill some homes in for toy fixtures ect. She can come home and eat, then go to sleep in the cage I have at my apartment. The acrylic cage will absorb some of the sound, so there's a chance I may just switch to Acrylic in the end anyway.

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986

61fOkRrni6L.jpg

I use this type of cage too. Each fid (3 total), has their own. I like that they are small but have room, and collapse easy for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I picked up a little tote carrier for to and from work, and am saving up a bit more before I order the Acrylicage for work.
Its just some little thing from the local petstore. I'm still unsure about it, and may take it back as it's only about 12 inches high and hard to attach a perch to. If I make up my mind I'll just return it and get the little teeny dometop parkeet cage that's designed to hang. Light, sturdy, and effective. Nice door on the front as well. Always a bonus. I probably will. I'm just wishy washy as always.

Still better than a cardboard box.

Most Reactions

Latest posts