Cages

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Hi! So I've been wanting to get Oz a new cage for a while and with his flight feathers growing back in, I think now would be an ideal time to get him a bigger cage since I've decided to try letting him be flighted

I'm considering for now:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23417

Link for the second doesn't work so here's info:
$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookPmkBSWF-3kN9g%7E%7E60_57.JPG

FEATURES:

Non-toxic coated finish
Durable metal wire bar to secured large birds
Strong and steady metal main frame
Top play area with ladder, 2 stainless steel bowls and a perch
Large steel front door with snapping lock
3 feeder doors with locks for easy feeding
3 large interior stainless steel feeding bowls
1 Interior Long Wooden Perch for Resting.
Upper removable sliding metal tray
Lower Removable Sliding Grate for Easy Cleaning.
Lower removable sliding metal tray
4 strong swivel casters 2 locks for mobility and stability
Dimensions: 24"(W) x 22"(D) x 37.5"(H)
Overall Height Including Stand: 66-1/8”
Bar Spacing: 3/4"
Bar thickness: 1/2" & 1/8" Recommended birds for this cage:

Cacique
Conures
Jardine’s Parrot
Meyer's Parrots
Pionus
Poicephalus
Red-bellied
Other Similar Size Birds

Leaning towards the second one right now, I must say. I'm not sure about the 3/4'' bar spacing thought, is that a little too wide? Would love some advice as I'd like to order tonight. I,m also open to cage model suggestions, I'm having a hard time finding suitable ones.

Last edited:

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
This one is better!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Wrought-F040-31-Inch/dp/B00176F5L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381884394&sr=8-1&keywords=Flight+cage]Amazon.com: Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Just found one I like a lot:

91BE0XbMP3L._AA1500_.jpg

24-Inch long, 22-inch wide and 52-3/4-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing. I find it more aesthetically pleasing, but it IS smaller than the flight cage. It's so hard to find THE cage <.<

@chelle thanks for the suggestion! Might be a bit too bulky for me thought, this cage will be in a bedroom and will already be joined by a second in a few months =S

His current cage, which the shop owner told me was perfect for a tiel when I first got Oz. is 15'' X 15'' X 23'' with a 3/4'' spacing. He was my first bird so at the time I had no idea how inadequate this cage really is... I was surprised to realize how small his living space really is when I took my measures tonight... Definitely gonna try to figure something out before the end of the week.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Why not get one of these then?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Double-Flight-Wrought-Divider-Cockatiel/dp/B00CTTCBKW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381885414&sr=8-3&keywords=Flight+cage+with+divider]Amazon.com: Double Flight Bird Large Wrought Iron Double Cage w/ Slide Out Divider 3 Levels Bird Parrot Cage Cockatiel Conure Bird Cage 63"Length x 19"Depth x 64"Height W/Stand on Wheels *Black Vein*: Pet Supplies[/ame]

A 'single cage' with a divider.

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
63'' would be a little too long for my room, 31 would work with a width of 20 or so. What makes me hesitate is the appearance of the cage. A flight cage would be bigger and cheaper, but a cage like the prevue parkway would fit in much better with the room.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Hi! So I've been wanting to get Oz a new cage for a while and with his flight feathers growing back in, I think now would be an ideal time to get him a bigger cage since I've decided to try letting him be flighted

I'm considering for now:

Bird Cages: HQ Wrought Iron Flight Cage w/ Cart Stand

Link for the second doesn't work so here's info:
$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookPmkBSWF-3kN9g%7E%7E60_57.JPG

FEATURES:

Non-toxic coated finish
Durable metal wire bar to secured large birds
Strong and steady metal main frame
Top play area with ladder, 2 stainless steel bowls and a perch
Large steel front door with snapping lock
3 feeder doors with locks for easy feeding
3 large interior stainless steel feeding bowls
1 Interior Long Wooden Perch for Resting.
Upper removable sliding metal tray
Lower Removable Sliding Grate for Easy Cleaning.
Lower removable sliding metal tray
4 strong swivel casters 2 locks for mobility and stability
Dimensions: 24"(W) x 22"(D) x 37.5"(H)
Overall Height Including Stand: 66-1/8”
Bar Spacing: 3/4"
Bar thickness: 1/2" & 1/8" Recommended birds for this cage:

Cacique
Conures
Jardine’s Parrot
Meyer's Parrots
Pionus
Poicephalus
Red-bellied
Other Similar Size Birds

Leaning towards the second one right now, I must say. I'm not sure about the 3/4'' bar spacing thought, is that a little too wide? Would love some advice as I'd like to order tonight. I,m also open to cage model suggestions, I'm having a hard time finding suitable ones.

The first one is better. Great size for a tiel.

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
So I'd decided to get the prevue parkway, but then I told myself that it doesn't matter what people think when they walk in my room. What matters above all is that he be happy. A vertical prevue would look a lot better in the room, but he'll have way more space in a proper flight cage.

So now the big question is HQ or A&E?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't like pretty/elegant cages.... but then that's just me.

My first flight cage is an HQ. I put an add up looking for a cage and someone replied, saying they had that one.

My second flight cage, which is actually a double flight, is an A&E cage.... I so wish it was HQ!!!

HQ and A&E are basically sister companies and make many similar cages with a few minor differences in cage design. They both make cheap cages, so I don't necessarily think it matters if you go with one over the other.

You can also buy off-brand cages from places like Ebay and maybe Amazon. Here's another company that makes even better flight cages (at least, they look better!)

Centurion Cage & Aviaries | Cages

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I can't seem to find any websites that ship these cages to canada thought. Haha, been looking for hours.

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
I have the same cage as Charlie for my two tiels - found it on Craigslist for a fantastic price! I sanitized it at home and had the hubs assemble it in the bird room - its been a great cage!

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
So, there's this one I could get for around 225

Finch Haven 13221 Flight Cage - Perfect for finches and budgies - Everything for Birds

This one for around 200

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Prevue-Hendryx-Pet-Products-Hammertone/dp/B0002AQ228/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381943225&sr=8-2&keywords=flight+cage"]Prevue Hendryx Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage, X-Large, Hammertone Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies[/ame]

(I worry about the quality of this on thought...)

Still looking around.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I prefer the smaller flight cage, but simply because most birds will only use the top half of the cage, making the bottom half pointless.

It is possible though to get parrots to use their entire cage! Cockatiels are ground foragers so some actually enjoy foraging around for food at the bottom of the cage! Or they like to go to the bottom of the cage and run back and forth wanting to get out!

Most Reactions

Latest posts