Caging different birds together ?

Aandeg

Oct 16, 2014
Wisconsin and Minnesota
Parrots
Quaker-Niimi

Budgie-SweeDee
I have a little budgie right now. I'm considering a quaker or conure in the future. Can I house these birds in the same cage? A pet shop owner told me I could house any two species of hook bill together. I have my doubts about that guy however. He also told me never feed a bird on pellets, seeds only, the exact opposite of what I've researched.

So I'm looking for a second opinion.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, I would not house a Quaker and a little budgie in the same cage.

And 'variety' is the key word to diet. ;) And good, healthy pellets should be part of that variety, as well as fresh veggies and fruits.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Also, make sure Quakers are legal to own where you live. If you are in the states there are many states that have made owning a Quaker illegal. NJ and PA for example you are not legally allowed to own a Quaker and they can take the bird and destroy it.

OP
A

Aandeg

Oct 16, 2014
Wisconsin and Minnesota
Parrots
Quaker-Niimi

Budgie-SweeDee
I went to a different store today. A real parrot lover who knows a lot about these birds. He said a quaker would kill and eat my budgie within minutes. Maybe he's being dramatic but it got the point across very strongly.

He also gave me some free budgie pellets and said the same thing about variety.

I'm in wisconsin and sometimes minnesota. Quakers are ok here. I sent in a deposit for a quaker and should get it in a week or two. He's being weaned. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts