Caique not really acting like a caique?

trainmctrainface

Jun 11, 2020
Hello all! I've adopted an older BHC (ca. 3years) about two weeks ago. I've always wanted one because their personalities are amazing! However, my new baby doesn't really act like a caique. He is not very active and not really interested in his toys. He naps a lot during the day, but he doesn't show any signs of illness - his poops are normal, he eats and drinks normally, he's not very vocal except for the occasional scream or purr. He was never hand tamed, so he is very afraid of hands and humans in general (slowly getting better on that), when he is left out of his cage (every day multiple times), he would just jump onto my other bird's (cockatiel) cage and hang out there. The cockatiel I've had for 8 years is hand tame, but afraid of the BHC so he doesn't play with him and runs away instead. When BHC is out, he would just sit on the other cage, preen, nap with one footsie tucked in, occasionally he flies around a little but always runs back to his cage very fast.

I've tried offering training food (he adores walnuts) only when I'm near, I can sit by his cage and he will come get it (20cm away from me), so I see he is slowly getting used to us, but I really expected more energy from him, more playing, etc.. Any tips on why he's acting like that and what else I can do to help him come out of his shell are greatly appreciated!!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Not all Caiques are going to have the same personality. Not all of them are active, playful, fun, curious and inquisitive. Some are content to just hang out, like all birds of any species. It is likely his upbringing that made him this way -- perhaps he wasn't offered a single toy in his previous home, or never figure out how to play on his own. Sounds like he was around other birds and left to socialize with them instead of humans.

If you wanted a perky, fun, playful Caique a hand fed baby from a reputable breeder is best. That way they get completely socialized with humans and bond with them. Sounds like your new Caique was not raised by humans or around them much, so it may be some time, or not at all, before he becomes the bird you want him to be. Sometimes, ou just have to accept them for who they are, and work with them at their pace to try tog et them to play and engage.

Also I never saw mention of being taken to the vet. Whenever getting a new bird it's always recommended to take them to get a wellness check with a certified avian vet, or a vet in general, just to be sure they're healthy as can be. Otherwise there could be underlying problems that we may not be able to see on the surface without a professional's help.

Here's a great thread...Tips for bonding and building trust

Good luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Some parrots have to be shown HOW to play with toys, especially non-tame ones that were previously raised with limited out of cage time. Get a few toys, play with them your self, tear them apart while exclaiming how fun they are and squealing with delight. All within sight of your caique ( would't do him much good doing it away from him). Pique his curiosity. Good luck!

OP
T

trainmctrainface

Jun 11, 2020
Thank you both very much for your replies!

Just to clarify, I got him from an owner who adopted him from a family in a bad stade, even the owner himself couldn't tell me exactly what happened to the bird before he got him. So it's likely he was in a careless home, with people who had no clue how to take care of him. The previous owner also took him to the vet a few days before adoption, as he lives in a city closer to the vet - my vet is about 20 minutes away, and taking the new scared bird there would cause even more trauma and I really really didn't want to put him through that so soon. And I don't know how long the previous owner had him, but he had a bunch of other birds. I've read through all the threads I could find in the topic and am doing as advised, slowly getting closer to the bird, giving treats, hanging out, softly talking to him, and he did adapt a lot, he lets me sit next to his cage, talks to me, etc. I just wanted insight into his untypical behaviour, so thank you very much for providing me with it, greatly appreciated!!

Most Reactions