Caique?

Saltiquen

Apr 3, 2019
So I have been doing some serious research about what bird I want to get. After quite a while, I finally decided that I'm getting a caique! I found a local aviary that sells them for 250 each (a bargain I know). I have done lots of research and know quite a bit about them, but I wanted to make sure of a few things. Firstly, how big should the cage be? I understand that these are very active birds and so will need a large cage, but exactly how big are we talking? Also, is there any difference between the two species other than looks? Thanks!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I have always read and know peeps that have a pair, I'd do some research on how one does on it's own? They are high energy so one more isn't in all probability much more to cope with, they will play and amuse themselves if they are OK with one another?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
BIG, as big as you can afford and have room for. Just watch bar spacing since really large cages can have wide spacing, too wide for your lil caique.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
250 USD ? I see caiques go for 1000$ USD+ for a handraised baby. Have you thoroughly researched this aviary to make sure their birds are healthy?

OP
S

Saltiquen

Apr 3, 2019
250 USD ? I see caiques go for 1000$ USD+ for a handraised baby. Have you thoroughly researched this aviary to make sure their birds are healthy?
I was surprised too! The caique is not hand raised, but less than a year old so still possible to tame. I have been to the aviary before, and other than a lack of stimulation (which is understandable since they have a lot of birds) the birds are in pretty good shape! They have pretty good reviews as well and I have spoken to past customers. Seems pretty legit!

Thank you all for the advice!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Species aside, it is important for all would-be-bird-owners to research the dangers for birds within the typical home (which is easier said than done).
It isn't discussed much on pet websites, but no matter the species, you are looking at a complete 180 to your cleaning/indoor lifestyle, as all scented products (standard household cleaners, carpet shampoos, aerosols, air fresheners, perfumes, candles, polishes, paints, diffusers, burning food, glues, polishes, solvents, smoke etc) will be very unsafe in the same house with a bird (due to extreme respiratory sensitivities unlike mammals). Even more dangerous, are products containing Teflon/Ptfe/pfoa etc. It is hidden all over the place (in many unexpected locations, such as blow-dryers) and walls/doors will not protect a bird (they have died on separate floors and through shut doors). I wrote what I would write to you on another thread already, but please read my post on page 2 of the following thread (it goes into important detail):

http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/80621-parrot-owner-wanna-seeking-advices-2.html (Please read my post on page 2)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts