Can a tame green cheek conure be put in a semi-wild aviary?

Smegma

Jan 6, 2022
Parrots
conure
Hello. I have a hand-raised green cheek conure that I might relocate to an aviary in my town of Hualien, Taiwan. It's subtropical here, so weather isn't too much of a problem besides one to two cold fronts a year. Temperature never really nears freezing.

The aviary in which I want to donate my bird has other conures, some of them the bigger sun conure variety. It's a touristy farm where people are always standing around the pen.

Could my guy make it? The other birds are not exactly wild, but they may not be hand-tamed like my bird.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Putting a bird that was raised by humans and craves human attention, into a situation like an aviary where it will receive minimal human interaction is wrong. The bird might never be happy. It would be better to re-home the bird to someone that will have it as a pet.

OP
S

Smegma

Jan 6, 2022
Parrots
conure
Putting a bird that was raised by humans and craves human attention, into a situation like an aviary where it will receive minimal human interaction is wrong. The bird might never be happy. It would be better to re-home the bird to someone that will have it as a pet.
It's not like a zoo aviary. Visitors feed the birds thru the cage and it is cleaned and maintained by the B&B owners.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It's not like a zoo aviary. Visitors feed the birds thru the cage and it is cleaned and maintained by the B&B owners.
I know but it still wouldn't receive one on one human interaction

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
What's your motivation for putting your conure in this aviary? I agree with @zERo that it's a bad idea, and unfair to your bird. It would be a huge, huge change to go from an indoor pet conure to an outdoor aviary bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts