Can anyone offer advice on leg band removal

KatieConureMom

Dec 15, 2020
Cols, Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi, Black Capped Conure , hatched 2/14/20
Hello, my name is Katie and I have a Black Capped conure named Yoshi who is almost a year old. The last months he has been chewing at his leg band and I am worried it will become obsessive. There are not a lot of avian vets in our area( Columbus, OH) and the 2 we found couldn't see us fir a month or more. Is there anything I can do to stop him from picking at his band/ leg? Has anyone has this issue before?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Personally I recommend you have a certified avian vet perform this procedure, due in part to the fragility of a bird's leg bones and also that, depending on the material the band is made of, it may need to be done under a general anaesthetic. My Lilly was just starting to worry at hers a little too much for my liking not long ago, and because it was made of aluminium and not a closed band, my experienced vet was able to snip it off with no anaesthetic required. Closed stainless steel bands are another matter, and although the procedure should only take about 10 minutes or so, they have to use a diamond burr or a dremel to remove it, and this is usually done under general anaesthesia.

I'm not sure if this link will help you find another avian vet who could do it any sooner, but it's worth a try!

https://www.aav.org/

Best of luck, Katie!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agreed-- too much that could go wrong if you try to DIY it. Not saying it couldn't work, but high risk.

A thought- if he is chewing it obsessively, you may be dealing with more anxiety/other issues.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We had Saltys removed by his CAV, because a sliver of some toy got stuck. I pulled it out, but then he started worrying it. Took all of 5 min.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated above, best removed by an Avian Medical Professional as the smallest error and your DIY project will turn into a medical emergency...

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I second only having it removed by your CAV. BTW my birds do play with theirs from time to time, it has not become compulsive. If the ring is removed then microchipping becomes more necessary in terms of indentification. Although a ring is not infallible alone. If it is being 'played' with because there is little alternative then that can be easily remedied with a cage change around and the intro of some new toys, perches, swing etc.

FYI my dear friend's RB2 youngster often plays with his when he stays with us. It almost looks like he is doing it as a rouse to just observe the household. Think there are plenty of options before it is a definite decision to remove IMHO.

Last edited:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I had my mynah bird's removed by a vet for the same reason. It seemed to bother her. She got stressed and had to have oxygen so definitely needed to be done at a vet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Katie and Yoshi, best wishes for band removal. Cannot beat the advice above!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts