Can different species of parrots mate?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have an ekkie, and a Jenday conure. My ekkie is new to me. He has been overly interested in my Jenday conure. Iā€™ve had my conure for 10 years. Iā€™ve never seen her mate with every single toy in her cage. My ekkie becomes aggressive when it comes to my conure. He wants to sit by her cage all day long. I know both are hormonal right now, and they both have pin feathers coming in. 2 cranky parrots is what Iā€™m dealing with šŸ¦œ šŸ˜¢. Does anyone know if they want to mate together? Or is this just both being hormonal together, and feeding off one another? I never have them out together. I have absolutely no intention on breeding birds. Iā€™m hoping that my Ekkie stops obsessing with my conure.

Attachments

• 4A2C7DB9-5D65-4E04-8EC3-D6DC00DE9886.jpeg
    4A2C7DB9-5D65-4E04-8EC3-D6DC00DE9886.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 82

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
they technically can mate together but regardless of genders no offspring would be produced as they're are from very different genus

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
they technically can mate together but regardless of genders no offspring would be produced as they're are from very different genus
Males can mate with males? I didn't know that. I am assuming my conure is a female because she tends to arch her back, get down really low, cluck/flap wings, and back her tail into all of her toys. My ekkie of course is a male. When I try to remove him from beside my conures cage he gets very upset.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
I mean...does he know the other is a male? It's known to happen in nature and in captivity. But based on what you're saying, one is a female based on your suspicions. Did you get the conure from a breeder? Is that why you're not sure?

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Sounds like the Ekkie isnā€™t interested in mating, more so that it wants to attack the conure. And there is pretty much no chance of those species hybridising

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I mean...does he know the other is a male? It's known to happen in nature and in captivity. But based on what you're saying, one is a female based on your suspicions. Did you get the conure from a breeder? Is that why you're not sure?
My conure I got from a pet store. I've never had the dna sexing test. I am just making an educated guess based upon her mating behaviors. Because of my ekkies health issues I was informed to keep him, and my conure seperate which I have been. I am trying decipate my ekkies hormones as these can contribute to feather plucking behaviors. I was just trying to figure out if they can feed off each others hormones, and it makes me feel a lot better that regardless as the above person stated these parrots could never have offspring.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Sounds like the Ekkie isnā€™t interested in mating, more so that it wants to attack the conure. And there is pretty much no chance of those species hybridising
Thank you for letting me know that. That could be why my ekkie has been overly interested in my conure as well. I never looked at it that way.

Most Reactions