Can I give my bird maple branches?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
A garage would work- I left mine on the porch initially and regretted it lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You might look at this website: Red Maple Leaf Poisoning of Horses it has some leaf id tips..

Mountain Maple or Red = my guesses. Just guesses.

Climate can impact the coloration of red maples by preventing them from turning red.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
You might look at this website: Red Maple Leaf Poisoning of Horses it has some leaf id tips..

Mountain Maple or Red = my guesses. Just guesses.

Climate can impact the coloration of red maples by preventing them from turning red.

Iā€™ve emailed my local extension office now for an opinion. I think. The site isnā€™t working very well lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
How sure were they? really doesn't look like a sugar maple to me. I could be wrong, but the jagged edges seem uncharacteristic. I really am shocked that is their suggestion. Also, I do not know if tar-spot is safe. Like I said, could be wrong--just doubt that's a sugar maple. They should know, but I will say it looks a lot more jagged than all sugar maples I have seen.

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
How sure were they? really doesn't look like a sugar maple to me. I could be wrong, but the jagged edges seem uncharacteristic.

I donā€™t know, they said what they thought it was but really just focused on the fungus. Iā€™ll attach the reply. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be taking any branches from my tree because even if it is a sugar maple I canā€™t find any information about if the fungus is harmful to animals.
3c7a089c48cca6dad738ee6c4221ea64.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I dunno---I think they look way more jagged, but they have better knowledge than I do in all likelihood. I would ask them how certain they are and perhaps even show pictures of the other varieties...but that's just me. I expected a different reply-- I think sugar-maple doesn't seem correct.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I dunno---I think they look way more jagged, but they have better knowledge than I do in all likelihood. I would ask them how certain they are and perhaps even show pictures of the other varieties...but that's just me. I expected a different reply-- I think sugar-maple doesn't seem correct.

Yeah, personally I think it looks far more like a silver, especially looking at the fall coloration. It doesnā€™t get nearly as red as a sugar, the leaves often have green still in the center and are more orangey yellow on the outside. I donā€™t know either, but maybe Iā€™ll try contacting again.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
a red maple can stay green due to an early frost (your location makes sense). It has to do with temperature and nutrition. Coloration can vary, even in the fall, but the edges don't look smooth enough for a sugar maple (IMO). I didn't expect them to say sugar maple, as I expect them to know better than I, but it concerns me a little, given the importance here.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
a red maple can stay green due to an early frost (your location makes sense). It has to do with temperature and nutrition. Coloration can vary, even in the fall, but the edges don't look smooth enough for a sugar maple (IMO). I didn't expect them to say sugar maple, as I expect them to know better than I, but it concerns me a little, given the importance here.

I have to agree with you it just doesnā€™t look right to me. And yeah, itā€™s a little too important to take someoneā€™s guess because even though I know next to nothing about trees it just doesnā€™t seem right.

Most Reactions

Latest posts