Can I train them one on one with the other out of sight?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Hey, it's me again with the two 18 year old bonded birds - female Quaker and female Sun.

I was training my birds this morning together and noticed that they seem to either get distracted or the sun Conure will bite me.
Here is what I found to be our relationship dynamics.

I am bonded to both of them and they are bonded to me, however.
1. Quaker is strongly bonded to me
2. Sun is strongly bonded to Quaker

This would explain the biting from my Sun. This is much like when a bird has a favorite human and bites everyone else. Oftentimes if I ask her to step up in the presence of her sister, she will bite my finger.

I separate them this morning to work with one on one. They were in two separate rooms.

My Quaker was totally fine working with me one on one while Sunny was back in the other room. She was pretty focused and pretty chilled and took treats

My Sun Conure was a bit more nervous, but not bitey. I was able to get her to target once or twice and step up. But to be honest, most of my time spent with her was talking and petting her to explain why I needed to work with her one on one.

While Nikki was taking the treat rewards, Sunny was dropping them on the floor. She would not eat. I don't know if it is because she was nervous or just not hungry. I am guessing that if I continue, I would have to keep our one-on-one training sessions super short.

I don't know if this is a good idea but I feel like I need to do this at least temporarily since I noticed when the Quaker is out of her sight, she is less likely to bite my fingers. I also want to build up my relationship with her since I never had that one-on-one relationship with her like I did with Nikki before Sunny came into the picture.

I also notice that the two of them were a bit cage aggressive for the past couple of days so I re-arranged their cage set up.

I don't know how to keep the Quaker Quiet when I am working with Sunny. She flocks calls. When it was me and Nikki, Sunny would not flock call.

I may try this again tomorrow to see how it goes. Is it okay to work with two birds that are housed together separately?

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
I would suggest working with your quaker first separately for than do happen have a bird stand with toys on it you can put in the same room as you training your sun conure while he is busy foraging toys and stuff you can work with your sun conure in the same room while she plays

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My sun Conure would definitely Italy fly over to be with Quaker.

Most Reactions