Can I Use Reptile UVB Bulbs for my Parakeets?

Budgiegirl38

May 14, 2018
My Vet says my parakeets need some D3 and UVB.
I work at a pet store - but we do not sell bird specific UVB bulbs.
Can I use Reptile UVB bulbs instead?

Would a raised linear fixture be better? or a dome fixture with a clamp?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Lord if only UVB, D3 or all the other stuff would just go away!

Ask your learned source to define just were any Parrot has receptors for UV light source? There is only one answer and I am guessing they do not know.

Get a Long Life, LED, Daylight bulb and get the type that one can vary brightness and save a ton of money and the vision of your Parrot.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I know you most likely are finding SailBoat’s recommendation frustrating but!
Parrot, like humans can suffer from the same issue- cataracts! We as humans also need D3 and are able to synthesize it through UV exposure! But! For absorption, no showering, sunbath close to nude! And then, like me now, schedule surgeries every 6 months for new skin cancer!
Solution for both your fid and you? D3 through food or supplements! Most parrot pellets contain an absorbable form of D3! With good reason!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Get a Long Life, LED, Daylight bulb and get the type that one can vary brightness

I’ve been needing this for years. Any specific brand you use? Or can you direct me to where sells this type you’re talking about that can vary brightness. I assume that has to do with the type of fixture it’s in, so what type is that? I need a little direction as to what to buy exactly. Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Get a Long Life, LED, Daylight bulb and get the type that one can vary brightness

I?ve been needing this for years. Any specific brand you use? Or can you direct me to where sells this type you?re talking about that can vary brightness. I assume that has to do with the type of fixture it?s in, so what type is that? I need a little direction as to what to buy exactly. Thanks!

Common LED Light Bulbs found at near all Hardware or Big Box Stores. Regarding varying light, will work in any standard light fixture that has an adjustable control on it or its light switch does.

It can be a fairly demanding DYI project to install that kind of switch.

FYI: LED light bulbs get hot at the base, take care not to use larger watt size light bulb in the fixture than it is designed for.

Most 'brands' are made in one of the four huge manufacturing facilities. Read the label can look for the longest number of operating hours! The long life units cost more but are worth it. The Color is called DayLight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What is the reason you prefer the adjustable dimmer? Just because it?s more natural?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great question.

Daylight, LED lightbulbs tend to be a bit brighter than the common light bulb. If you elect to use them near everywhere, you will find that dimming them as evening begins and if you continue to dim them you duplicate the natural reduction of Sun light

So what! By dimming, you and your Parrot will find it easier to maintain your internal clock. Without dimming them, one has daylight and then darkness. That tends to mess with your internal clock.

Or, you can simply start turning off lights closer to you and your Parrot as evening progresses.

Most Reactions