Can my conure have cooked oatmeal?

chika

Jun 27, 2011
Parrots
Chika, my green cheek conure. She is my first bird.
I was just wondering if she could. Just plain, cooked oatmeal.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Also go for the whole, rolled oat stuff. Not instant outmeal. You can add a little bit of apple juice (sugar free of course) and cinnamon to make it more appealing.

Oatmeal is actually known for being beneficial to feather growth, it makes them very glossy. Breeders of show chickens will feed them oatmeal around the time they molt for this reason.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
thanks for that halfinsane, o dom't do porriage for the nut, as we don't have lactose free milk, but i might start now

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Also go for the whole, rolled oat stuff. Not instant outmeal. You can add a little bit of apple juice (sugar free of course) and cinnamon to make it more appealing.

Oatmeal is actually known for being beneficial to feather growth, it makes them very glossy. Breeders of show chickens will feed them oatmeal around the time they molt for this reason.

Just curious as to why not instant? Nutrition factor? I bought the can of plain stuff that according to ingredients is 100% oats with nothing else added or are they lying? I'm going to have to stop being such a lazy cook, he loves his oatmeal at bedtime.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots

Just curious as to why not instant? Nutrition factor? I bought the can of plain stuff that according to ingredients is 100% oats with nothing else added or are they lying? I'm going to have to stop being such a lazy cook, he loves his oatmeal at bedtime.

It's the texture. It's very glue-like and can set up in the crop.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I make my bird some every morning, a small handful of old fashioned oats with ground up pellets, I've tried it and it tastes pretty good! The pellets have some pretty tasty stuff in them. I use just enough water to do a little more than cover the dry ingredients and nuke it for 1 minute, 10 secs. If by the time it's cool and it's too thick, add a little water and stir.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Mickey has his morning oatmeal, and his evening oatmeal...now with baby food veggies mixed in. The vet said it was fine if he liked it.....he actually loves it!

Mickey was very thin when we got him and we have been giving him anything he would eat.....fruits he takes, veggies he wouldn't touch, so I got baby food and put it in the oatmeal and he gobbles it down. I also grind up pellets and put in it on some days. He has put on some weight now, so I think I will cut down to once a day, he's not going to be happy.;)

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA

It's the texture. It's very glue-like and can set up in the crop.

Thank you very much! I shall add that to my list for shopping tomorrow morning.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Ok so I went shopping this morning and I'm still not sure what to get? The cans of "old fashioned" oatmeal? The cooking directions looked quite the same as the ones on the can of quick oats. They both say they are 100% rolled oats or something. What about the steel cut oats? He loves his bedtime oatmeal but I want to make sure what he's getting isn't going to be bad for him.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Rolled oats (the whole oat, not all minced up) or steel cut are what I use. I tend towards rolled puts because I personally don't like steel cut. That being said, they are supposed to be better for you.

I think so long as its not that finely pulverised stuff that turns into insta-snot when you add hot water, its okay.

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Old Fashioned Oatmeal takes about 20 minutes to cook. Instant or Quick cook oatmeal takes about 5 minutes. Try making the oatmeal with raisins. My birds love the raisins as much as the oatmeal. I also will add a little 100% raw honey in with their oatmeal every now and then to give them a little treat.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Thank you for clearing that up! Of course I got the steel cut this morning..lol. It's all good. Tico and I both are benefiting from Jasper being here. I'm doing alot more looking into things and trying to make sure what they are getting is good. In the long run it's going to help me as well. This normal pack and a half smoker only had two cigs yesterday. I should have always smoked outside if at all but I just decided to since Jasper's come home. I'm rather looking forward to eating alot better. :)

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Tico and I both are benefiting from Jasper being here. I'm doing a lot more looking into things and trying to make sure what they are getting is good. In the long run it's going to help me as well. This normal pack and a half smoker only had two cigs yesterday. I should have always smoked outside if at all but I just decided to since Jasper's come home. I'm rather looking forward to eating a lot better. :)

Good for you! It's amazing that it takes a bird to help us realize how important it is to eat well! Gives a whole new meaning to eat like a bird!

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
U can also cook the oatmeal with coconut milk. I make it this way and add soft banana, handful of cereal like grape nuts and chopped nuts. It is called oatmeal delight my birds LOVE it!!!!

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Now I think the oatmeal thing goes a little overboard, with watching not to add certian things. I eat oatmeal every once in a while. I cook the oatmeal and add butter, sugar, and milk. The milk is mainly for me. But anyhow I eat two or three bites and give Sassy a little bite. She loves eatings with me and being a family member. Too make her special dishes without certain things, that will not hurt her, ...well it makes no sense. Parrots in the wild get a little protien... so a little egg, fish, crawfish, isn't going to hurt a parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts