Can parrots have parsley?

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
So I was doing a veggie run and I like to try offering Jacob different things all the time till I find out what he likes most. I got parsley but wasn't sure if it is toxic to parrots or not. When I googled it I couldn't find any information on it other than 1 site saying it was bad for their health. It being only one source saying that I can't really go by what it says. I've seen so many sites that have wrong info about parrots.

So the question is, can Jacob my blue and gold macaw have parsley? :blue1:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Parsley isn't good for some types of chickens and ducks, but is good for parrots. My two both like it and get some regularly.

OP
Valyndris

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
So it turns out Jacob hates parsley, the first thing he did when he went to his veggie bowl was toss out the parsley and anything that came with it. He's usually not a fan of anything leafy and usually gets offended by it. He does however like bok choy so I still gotta try everything till I know what he truly likes and what he doesn't like.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
There are many sources indicating that parsley is not good for parrots---especially in frequent doses.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
We've seen mixed recommendations on parsley.
Sometimes it's hard to trust the information published.

Arika did pretty much the same as Jacob. Pulled it out of her dish and ate the other veggies that she liked.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
There are many sources indicating that parsley is not good for parrots---especially in frequent doses.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there and it can be hard to know what to believe. I have it on the authority of two avian-certified veterinarians that parsley is actually good for parrots' digestion. Like most things, it shouldn't be fed too often; my parrots get parsley about once a week. My old YCA George ate parsley often for the 40 years he was with me and never had any ill effects from it.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
So, noodles is in part correct. To summarize Wikipedia and draw the conclusion::

some plants in the Apiaceae family (of which parsley belong) contains polyynes, which do show mild toxicity. Parsley has this. However, carrots, celery, and fennel among others has the same thing, and they are fine to serve at will.

So what’s the truth? They do have a toxic substance, but not likely in any concentration we need to be concerned about.

Everything in moderation, and you’re perfectly fine. So long as parsley isn’t the ONLY thing the birds eats, feel free to serve it on occasion. The concern is likely on par with concern about overfeeding oxalates from cruciferous vegetables.

Most Reactions

Latest posts