Can parrots watch tv? Also an update on my pet Quaker Cosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
I have a friend that has a Quaker but in green that likes to watch tv such as bluey and Harry Potter. I wanted to know though on here if itā€™s ok for parrots to watch tv for them to be entertained somehow? Also my mom moved the appointment for the vet since she has work to go to and I go to the same work as her so it will be in December 1st and Iā€™m definitely gonna redecorate my parrotā€™s cage because I think I agree that there needs to be more perches on his cage and there needs to be a change in some of them, along with more toys.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Yes to more perches and toys and yes itā€™s okay for birds to watch a little tv! Kid- friendly programs like cartoons or Sesame Street are good. Nothing violent or scary obviously ( and this includes nature shows that might have birds of prey)! I would recommend being around when you first let Cosmo watch tv in order to make sure heā€™s enjoying it and not scared by it. šŸ™‚

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My birds usually ignore what I watch unless I'm on youtube and play a video of them, like when I first got them, OR other videos that includes birds....then they usually perk up and seem very interested.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have never seen my birds react negatively to something on the TV.
That includes nature videos with predators hawks, eagles, big cats or little cats.
even the call of a bald eagle or red tailed hawk doesnā€™t ruffle feathers.
They definitely pay more attention to video with parrots.

there is lots of video on YouTube of hours of parrots you can put on for your birds.

OP
QuakerCosmo

QuakerCosmo

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Cosmo the Quaker
So itā€™s normal for them to watch tv, thatā€™s good, yeah I like to put Dora for him sometimes and I recently put on cat and the hat for him to see what he likes. He doesnā€™t usually like to watch the same thing though for now as I study him out since he is new to being in the house.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph doesn't pay too much attention to the TV, but sometimes something will grab his attention and he'll watch for a while. The only thing that he really seems enthusiastic about is a commercial for a local company that makes sausages. The commercial shows a pan with Italian sausage sizzling in it and I think the sizzling sound is what Ralph likes. He always stops what he's doing when that commercial is on and stares at the television. Sometimes there are things he sees on TV that he objects to and that deserve a QP alarm call. One of the news reporters on a local station sometimes wears a bright orange blouse and Ralph thinks that anything bright orange is a threat to parrots everywhere so he has to issue a warning. He's mostly gotten over his aversion to seeing people running but anytime runners show up on TV, he watches closely. That always used to get an alarm call too, but not so much anymore.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So itā€™s normal for them to watch tv, thatā€™s good, yeah I like to put Dora for him sometimes and I recently put on cat and the hat for him to see what he likes. He doesnā€™t usually like to watch the same thing though for now as I study him out since he is new to being in the house.
My budgie Rocky and I bonded over Teen Titans cartoons last year when I was laid up with Covid for a couple weeks. She seemed to enjoy all the colorful action!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird loves "talking heads" (news, CNN, interviews) AND J-LO's videos. He used to love Paula Abdul but since she has faded, J-Lo took over. He is enraptured with her. Don't believe me? Here is is version of her hit "Booty". Pardon the vid quality... he likes to perform at dusk.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep, parrots are quite capable of watching TV, unlike how dogs used to not be able to see picture tube type TV screens (they can see digital type TV screens just fine though). My Salty loves to watch youtube vids of parrots, especially ring necks, don't know why.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I have never seen my birds react negatively to something on the TV.
That includes nature videos with predators hawks, eagles, big cats or little cats.
even the call of a bald eagle or red tailed hawk doesnā€™t ruffle feathers.
They definitely pay more attention to video with parrots.

there is lots of video on YouTube of hours of parrots you can put on for your birds.
I was watching a nature show about fruit bats... my gcc was sitting on my knee ... when the bat on TV started to fly my bird ducked down ... that caught my attention...then it happened again... so I know they watch what's happening on TV and react...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My CAG Bella does pay more attention to Einstein video (lives in Texas) than Amazon videos
And the Twins get much more excited over Amazon parrot videos.
the closer to their own species the more interest they have in watching.

Bingo will glance at a parrot video but he acts like itā€™s beneath his notice/ not worth watching.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was watching a nature show about fruit bats... my gcc was sitting on my knee ... when the bat on TV started to fly my bird ducked down ... that caught my attention...then it happened again... so I know they watch what's happening on TV and react...
He must be wondering where that bat went- you may have to give him a night light!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Tango doesn't seem to be interested in the television at all. The only thing he will do is react when he hears a whistle while we are watching a football game.. BTW, How about them Detroit Lions??

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
Diesel loves to watch the video ā€œbaby sharkā€ and he dances. He also likes to watch videos of himselfšŸ„°

Most Reactions

Latest posts