Can rust cause heavy metal poisoning?

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if rust could cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. I have seen that the three most common metals causing metal poisoning is zinc, lead and copper. But I was wondering if rust could cause metal poisoning?
If a bird licks some rust and ingests some... what would happen?
I remember reading somewhere that rust can cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. What's your opinion?
I appreciate all the effort.
Thanks!
:rainbow1:

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes, rust is dangerous. It is harmful to them for sure, but I am not sure by what mechanism, but I believe it would still be considered a form of metal poisoning. I am not sure about "heavy metal" poisoning, but metal poisoning is dangerous even if it isn't "heavy".

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi, I was wondering if rust could cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. I have seen that the three most common metals causing metal poisoning is zinc, lead and copper. But I was wondering if rust could cause metal poisoning?
If a bird licks some rust and ingests some... what would happen?
I remember reading somewhere that rust can cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. What's your opinion?
I appreciate all the effort.
Thanks!

Not sure that you know that you are in fact asking two very different questions.

Rust (noun /verb) is specific to steel /iron and is part of the natural breakdown of that metal to its base minerals. IF, a heavy metal had been part of the original mixture that heavy metal would be exposed. Not all steel /iron metal contains heavy metal. So, the correct answer is: Maybe, depending on the original mix. Galvanized steel would contain Zinc, which is a heavy metal and a poison to Parrots.

NOTE: Heavy Metals commonly do not rust. As stated above, rust is specific to steel /iron metals and it is those metals that rust.

Metal Poisoning commonly occurs when steel /iron in a powder/fine form is added (in volume) to a food and/or digested.

Last edited:

abababa

May 15, 2020
I'd always assumed 'heavy metal' in poisoning included iron and iron alloy (steel).

I'd say rust is not just dangerous, but particularly dangerous, since it flakes (and is thus more intriguing/tempting for tiny beaks) and can be ingested. I have no idea scientifically if the oxidation process makes it chemically more or less toxic to them, but it will definitely have traces of pure iron.

This doesn't mean you can't have iron/steel things in a room with a bird, but they should definitely not be in the cage, and when they're out keep an eye on anything to ensure they don't pick up a particular fascination with it. The main cause of metal poisoning for birds by a mile is chewing cage bars - because they want out of the cage or are climbing around in it, and not all owners check carefully. If they don't have to constantly stand next to, or want to escape from, something made of metal, they're unlikely to chew it for extended periods, but better safe than sorry wherever possible.

If a bird just licked some rust, odds are it would be okay. The toxicity usually is a problem because the bird has been repeatedly chewing on something and the level has built up over time. This does not mean you shouldn't monitor it though. There is a risk if it had nibbled/ingested anything.

If it's anything in the cage that's rusting, it's not the case it's becoming toxic, it's the case that it already is, and needs removing asap.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Short answer: YES! Can and does.

Most Reactions