Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with my conure’s tail feathers?!

Birds_for_life

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Hello,
Today my parrots tail feather was fine but it has gotten to where the tips of them have become white and the ends look shredded almost?! Is this molting or something serious? I have had him for almost a week now and he’s only 4 months old. Please help!

Attachments

• 17A37863-4663-4380-80C7-76973F11444E.png
    17A37863-4663-4380-80C7-76973F11444E.png
    504.9 KB · Views: 116

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm not sure there's too much wrong with your conure's tail feathers, other than regular wear and tear. Young birds can be pretty hard on their feathers, and they generally begin growing in their adult plumage between the 5 and 8 months of age mark, although this can vary quite a bit between individuals with modern breeding practices. I would suggest at this stage that it's just the rough and tumble of babyhood leaving it's mark on those feathers and they will likely be moulted out and replaced quite soon.

Welcome to the forums to you and your lovely little birdie! I hope you will share some more pics soon, and don't forget to tell us your little one's name, will you? :)

OP
Birds_for_life

Birds_for_life

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Thank you for responding! Yes, I will say he’s very energetic all throughout they day exploring everything he can get into! But, I will be bringing him to an Avian vet when he turns around 6 months just to make sure everything is right. Also, my birdie’s name is Sherbert! 🙂

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My amazon’s tail is always a mess and he’s estimated to be at least over 30. Some birds bump their tails against their cage a lot and maybe are not the most careful about preening them. If he’s old enough to enjoy it, a mist bath with a spray bottle should take care of any coloration; the white spots may be from dust or even accidentally dragging it through droppings.

OP
Birds_for_life

Birds_for_life

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Thank you for responding!🙂 Yes, he is very out and about! I have started to introduce him to baths and he loves sitting in the water flapping his wings and putting his face in it, it’s so cute!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you for responding! Yes, I will say he’s very energetic all throughout they day exploring everything he can get into! But, I will be bringing him to an Avian vet when he turns around 6 months just to make sure everything is right. Also, my birdie’s name is Sherbert! 🙂
Awwwwww, you and sweet little Sherbert are most welcome! Having him checked out at an avian vet is an excellent thing to do too, as it will establish a baseline on health and nip any nasties in the bud nice and early. It's good to establish a relationship with your bird vet at this stage, so they have records of your bird's health history in the event that (heaven forbid 🙏) Sherbert has a health emergency sometime in future. And a good avian vet is a brilliant source of information and advice around behavioural issues as well.

Thanks again for joining, it certainly sounds like Sherbert has you wrapped around his claw already! :)

Most Reactions