Can you move a previous breeding pair into separate cages?

Blueflocks

Sep 18, 2021
Parrots
None yet (looking for conures)
I’ve been looking for a conure to adopt for a while and found two, a black cap and a green cheek, who appear to have been a breeding pair previously. I do not wish to breed parrots as I am not educated in the matter whatsoever, and these would be my first birds. Would it be cruel to put them in separate cages that are still near each other and can hang out outside of their cage? First post on this form so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, kudos for not breeding unless thoroughly prepared and desirous of offspring! An excellent and perfectly placed question!!

Might be awkward separating a bonded pair, limiting contact to neutral area. Another alternative is removing nest box and minimizing stimulus to breeding behaviors.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bonded birds, if can be kept together whith no breeding box , would be kindest.
The bond is very strong and for life.

If must, cages smashed together, and out together during day and each to their cage at Night.

Observe, and see if that is to stressful on them.

Would love to see pictures of your new friends.

I always suggest having a digital kitchen scale and weight check weekly. Its one of our only tools to pick up health issues before they become dire. As sick birds start losing weight nearly always, before you see anything else. And when caught at this early stage and gotten to the vet, successful happy outcome. Because when a bird shows you they are duck by fluffy and do on they are very sick and beat death at that point.
Also a weight gain of several grams in female lets you know she is making eggs...

Most Reactions

Latest posts