canary x budgie hybrid??!!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Right now I'm confused - I know interfamily hybrids are almost impossible - the only parrot case has been blue winged parakeet x cockatiel and the baby passed away soon after hatching. But I wanted to make sure using Avibase site if budgies has been crossbred only with lovebirds - and there's also a canary:eek: https://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=5CF68019F3654FFF&sec=summary&ssver=1

I always thought, it is a reliable side, so now I'm a bit confused - I googled such hybrid and found this: http://www.macroevolution.net/canary-parakeet-hybrids.html
The dates of reports were so long ago, so maybe these reports are scams? In the past it was harder to confirm a hybrid (I mean - now we can do a DNA test, idk if they existed then but even so, now prob we have better tests). Maybe Avibase collects any hybrid reports even if they weren't confirmed.

Last edited:

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I donā€™t have any, but I am looking to get one.
Now I am curious if there are any/ any other Confirmed Caseā€™s of Parrot Ɨ Non-parrot bird Hybrids

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I decided to check some other species on Avibase and it's weird - why do they mention a hybrid of a cockatiel with a red rumped parrot (??!!) and don't mention with a galah which has even own name - "galahtiel"?
1669666578108.png

Right now I think it's not a really good idea looking at hybrid stuff using only this site... I can believe that such reports existed but I wouldn't be sure about their real existence - there are no even photos available

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think itā€™s very unlikely that a canary could breed with a budgie to produce living chicks.

Hereā€™s one idea: my neighbor had a canary-winged parakeet and was confused; he thought he had a canary x budgie crossbreed. But he really had a Brotogeris.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I think itā€™s very unlikely that a canary could breed with a budgie to produce living chicks.

Hereā€™s one idea: my neighbor had a canary-winged parakeet and was confused; he thought he had a canary x budgie crossbreed. But he really had a Brotogeris.
I had a moment when I thought about canary-winged parakeets too... but I reread the article and the offspring has some canary elements (such as the thumb alone directed backward)

But I still think it may be some kind of scam.... no photos, I don't believe. How would it be possible to survive? I could believe maybe in just hatching but such hybrids die soon after hatching (if interorder hybrids are possible in any way, I know, this happens with interfamily hybrids).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I read the old references under ā€macro evolutionā€ link and it seems that sometimes such different crosses may produce a live offspring, but not likely a fertile offspring. I wouldnā€™t expect such a bird to be healthy or long lived either.

Most Reactions

Latest posts