Candle with flax wick safe to burn?

InkoGreencheek

Feb 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
At an 18th century event, my family made candles. We hand spun the wick from pure flax fiber into a small rope and dipped the wick in tallow until it because a thick candle. Does anybody know if these candles are safe to burn with a parrot around? It sounds like it should be safe, but I don‘t want to chance it and both my parrots get sick or die

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I believe its the scented candles that are the big concern with parrots. That and them possibly flying into the flame or knocking the candle over , getting hot wax on them. All candles produce some smoke too, which is never a good thing.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
At an 18th century event, my family made candles. We hand spun the wick from pure flax fiber into a small rope and dipped the wick in tallow until it because a thick candle. Does anybody know if these candles are safe to burn with a parrot around? It sounds like it should be safe, but I don‘t want to chance it and both my parrots get sick or die
As long as you do it in a totally different area very occasionally, they should be fine. Occasionally there are candles used in my house(not near the bird room) because of *cough cough* load shedding.

Most Reactions

Latest posts