Can't touch Dunkin Donut

Dunkinsmama

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet male
Hi there everyone. I'm a new member. Loved what I learned and figured I'd put up my post about Dunkin. I had him in my apartment since November 2018. He was loving affectionate. So sweet BUT I could not pet or touch him. He arrived straight from the pet store with a cere still pink and so young I couldn't even tell if it was a boy or girl and no matter what I could not pet him. But he hung out with me. Followed me everywhere it was just me and him. Then I had to go to Michigan for a year. I felt like an awful mother but it had to be done and I left him with my folks. They knew him well. When he returned to me sadly, he wasn't the same. He actually bit me! He made me bleed. It breaks my heart my little guy is still so scared. Maybe my folks were too loud but from what I understand he wàs himself and I believe it. He knew them. We DO have a blended family addition with a mild mannered senior harmless dog. So here's the thing 1. How do I get Dunkin to stop biting me. And what do I do if he does? And the other question is how in the world can I ever train him to allow me to pet him. Even in our better days no belly rubs. Thanks everyone. Love to your parakeets!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
some birds dont like to be touched. what we need to do as their owners is to respect that and not force it on them.

OP
D

Dunkinsmama

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet male
some birds dont like to be touched. what we need to do as their owners is to respect that and not force it on them.
I guess it's just his way. He's still very affectionate and I'm a budgie girl in a budgie world. They're tiny dog birds lol. I quit trying to touch him. Right now I'm trying to stop his biting. New home. New dog. Sad for my baby boy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts