Cedar wood safe for birds

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
Hi everyone I have 2 conures sushi and rio! And because of missed treats I have sort of developed a moth problem and was wondering if cedar wood around my house would be safe for them! If anyone has any advice or experience with this would be super helpful!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi everyone I have 2 conures sushi and rio! And because of missed treats I have sort of developed a moth problem and was wondering if cedar wood around my house would be safe for them! If anyone has any advice or experience with this would be super helpful!
You should store your birds' food in the refrigerator or freezer. Not sure what you mean about cedar wood being safe around the house for your birds. I know that bluebird nest boxes are often made of unpainted cedar. I work at Lowe's and the bluebird houses we sell and some of the wood bird feeders are made of cedar so I can't imagine raw unpainted cedar not being bird safe.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
As long as your birds aren't outright playing in it, and it is is out of foraging range, you should be okay. Cedar contains toxins that irritate a birds' respiratory system.

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
You should store your birds' food in the refrigerator or freezer. Not sure what you mean about cedar wood being safe around the house for your birds. I know that bluebird nest boxes are often made of unpainted cedar. I work at Lowe's and the bluebird houses we sell and some of the wood bird feeders are made of cedar so I can't imagine raw unpainted cedar not being bird safe.
Got it will do that from now didn’t know I should refrigerate there food/treats thanks!

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
As long as your birds aren't outright playing in it, and it is is out of foraging range, you should be okay. Cedar contains toxins that irritate a birds' respiratory
As long as your birds aren't outright playing in it, and it is is out of foraging range, you should be okay. Cedar contains toxins that irritate a birds' respiratory system.
Oh okay I thought that was the case but wasn’t sure if it emitted an odor of some something that could potentially be toxic to them thank you!!

InsomniacMom

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Henry
I have read that cedar is not good for bird perches in their cage. I would not allow them to chew on cedar.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I actaully got some moths....IN JANUARY (i'm in the northern hemispere) I think they came from a bag of millet and stowed away in it. I've been using pet and human safe bug killer on them, but they are always popping up here and there. I bought some cedar chips as well and put them in the try liner but it doesn't seem to help. So I just stopped using them. I have a whole bag and it's just sitting doning nothing. The moths seem immune/

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I actaully got some moths....IN JANUARY (i'm in the northern hemispere) I think they came from a bag of millet and stowed away in it. I've been using pet and human safe bug killer on them, but they are always popping up here and there. I bought some cedar chips as well and put them in the try liner but it doesn't seem to help. So I just stopped using them. I have a whole bag and it's just sitting doning nothing. The moths seem immune/
Feed the infested seed to the outdoor birds. I'd keep seed and other bird foods in the fridge or freezer.
Fly paper near a light should attract and get rid of moths without chemicals.

Most Reactions