Change in behaviour -growing up ?

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
hi all,
just after some advice or expertise.
so Iā€™ve had my boy about 8 months & heā€™s always taken to me better & thats ok, we worked through his dislike of my husband & friend.
He will wander off and do his own thing, play & forage but if I move to leave, heā€™s instantly in flight onto my shoulder.
In his cage we have a flat corner perch, when heā€™s in there, he peers at me with one eye through the bar down at his feet, he can stand up, but he chooses to lean down and use the little space. Then I walk out of the kitchen area whilst heā€™s there, he will drop his wings slightly and quiver them. Iā€™m guessing this is begging? & has now also started to shout loudly if I leave the room.
He also seems to have stopped playing with his cage toys and just sits on this perch and watches me.
I know itā€™s ā€˜loveā€™. But Iā€™m concerned he doesnt want to play anymore. Just gaze from the cornerā€¦. shall I change his toys around ?
We did reduce his meals last week from 2 main & 2 snack.. to 2 main & 1 lunch snack. I do weigh him and he has been a pretty constant weight for about 7 weeks. So I know he not starving away
grateful for everyones experiences x

ive added a pic of him after lunch..in his cage gazing at me. He did have a good swing on his swing today, now heā€™s back to gazing making his question mmmm mm mm sounds.

Attachments

• A4CD458E-E94B-4052-9CDF-DD16A9F51BE6.jpeg
    A4CD458E-E94B-4052-9CDF-DD16A9F51BE6.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All I can say is that my little Amazon also went from playing, violently, with his cage foot toys for the first few years, lets say 3 years. THen he went into shut down mode inside his cage. Outside of it, perfectly happy, playing, singing, destroying toys, etc. Its only within the last 3 months that he has started to play again with his foot toys inside his cage. SO for a good 4 years, nothing inside his cage tempted him to play. Weird.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
All I can say is that my little Amazon also went from playing, violently, with his cage foot toys for the first few years, lets say 3 years. THen he went into shut down mode inside his cage. Outside of it, perfectly happy, playing, singing, destroying toys, etc. Its only within the last 3 months that he has started to play again with his foot toys inside his cage. SO for a good 4 years, nothing inside his cage tempted him to play. Weird.
Thanks Wrench. He did have a swing on his rope swing today the first heā€™s done for a while. (I wish I could video it itā€™s so funny. Itā€™s like a child trying to get as high as he can, or he does it the ā€˜wrong wayā€˜ and goes side to side pumping his little legs)

Most Reactions