Change in diet is making Kiwi a monster

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Oh poor Kiwi...the seed he usually gets to pick on in-between meals is on back order. The new seed is making him crazy!!! He’s so mad every time I swap the fresh chop for the seed mix. He’s trying to dump out his food and water dishes (only when I put the new seed mix in his cage) like they have been contaminated by this evil new mix. So I’m thinking of offering 3 meals of chop for now. I don’t want to get Kiwi in the habit of playing with his food and water bowls. The normal seed that he absolutely loves should be in next week. Amazon failed me for the first time. Auto ship but back ordered...what?! Anyways...Kiwi doesn’t get pellets except as “reward” for training, I hear pellets aren’t great for brotogeris species, not sure why, but that’s coming from a couple of breeders (the vet disagrees, but is on board with the fresh foods he gets twice daily). I figure pellets are giving him extra nutrients and he accepts them as a treat so I’m not cutting them out completely. Kiwi gets a mix of fresh fruits, veggies, grains, and sprouted seeds in his daily “chop” mix. We also offer romaine and kale, but he’s not really a fan of lettuce. What are your thoughts for the 8 to 10 days until his usual seed mix comes in?

I should also mention he’s being a...you know what... for every food and water change. Trying to bite me as I put the bowls in his cage. That’s also new, started the day after the new seed mix was started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts