so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Merlin's facial colors are becoming more pronounced.
Merlin is the bird in the back (and blurry cuz he never stands still) and you can see how much more blue he has starting behind the eye and wrapping around his ear. The red is also creeping further back on his head.

I am still keeping them in the dual cage setup I started them in.
If they were people I would describe it as two hotel rooms with a connecting door that is left open.
This lets Luna escape when Merlin gets too worked up playing with his toys.

20201116_072133 by wes mcfaden, on Flickr

I still have not seen any hormonal behavior from either bird.

Bingo on the other hand has started his hormonal acting up.
This is the earliest I can remember him going into his season, I hope it does not mean it's going to last twice as long.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy would just love meeting the twins..and Bingo..and Bella ( He'd think Smokey got too big for his britches!) Just ask Salty ;) He's just a friendly green dino..the tiels however,he'd prolly think BB's family was ganging up on him :eek:

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly, it's that special day in December (Northern Hemisphere) when transition between the days getting shorter and the beginning of them becoming (very slowly) longer that I look for Julio to begin his spin into Hormonal Season.

Now, we are fairly close to the 45th parallel and we see a clear change in the Four Seasons. Generally, our Amazons have all had fairly consistent starting point. In addition, we have switched to a sleep schedule that follows the Sun. That means this time of year we are seeing over 12 hours of darkness.

Those factors are firm year to year. Now when one adds the flow of the weather and that can add a whole new number of factors of when one's Amazon will start or whether one will see an extended season.

Long range weather forecasts imply that the Great Lakes States will see a more traditional mid-late Winter, which means more cloudy days and of course snow. If that holds true, Julio will wait until January to start.

We will see!!! :D

FYI: Hmmm, someone is pushing Adult feathering! Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Commonly, it's that special day in December (Northern Hemisphere) when transition between the days getting shorter and the beginning of them becoming (very slowly) longer that I look for Julio to begin his spin into Hormonal Season.

Now, we are fairly close to the 45th parallel and we see a clear change in the Four Seasons. Generally, our Amazons have all had fairly consistent starting point. In addition, we have switched to a sleep schedule that follows the Sun. That means this time of year we are seeing over 12 hours of darkness.

Those factors are firm year to year. Now when one adds the flow of the weather and that can add a whole new number of factors of when one's Amazon will start or whether one will see an extended season.

Long range weather forecasts imply that the Great Lakes States will see a more traditional mid-late Winter, which means more cloudy days and of course snow. It that holds true, Julio will wait until January to start.

It has been unseasonably warm here in CT..until this week that is. For the longest time it was in the mid to high sixty's,and reaching into the low to mid seventy's for a few days! Now it's where it should be (39 degree's as I type this) but the weather guy say's by weekend it'll be sixty again (something about a warm front moving this way from the PNW with a cold front from 'Boats area keeping it down) It must be playing havoc on the fid's. Amy has started to "lunge" at me when I pass by when he is in his house. BB hasn't shown any aggression towards me however but still growls and nips at his Uncle David lol.. I feel sad for my brother,he just want's to love the little guy and still missing his Missy Kitty :eek: Both fid's are dropping their sleeves and rudders however.

Jim

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

Long range weather forecasts imply that the Great Lakes States will see a more traditional mid-late Winter, which means more cloudy days and of course snow. If that holds true, Julio will wait until January to start.

I still don’t understand what the timeline is for hormonal surging or even MOLTING.

I live in Deep South Florida, so how could my timeline be the same as someone in Maine?

Also, my area’s hot temperature is a non-starter for the conversation, because our AC is always on and the house is always at 72 to 75. Plus...

The length of daylight? When the bird is only affected by indoor artificial light anyway?

I just don’t get it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I still don’t understand what the timeline is for hormonal surging or even MOLTING.

I live in Deep South Florida, so how could my timeline be the same as someone in Maine?

Also, my area’s hot temperature is a non-starter for the conversation, because our AC is always on and the house is always at 72 to 75. Plus...

The length of daylight? When the bird is only affected by indoor artificial light anyway?

I just don’t get it.

If you leave your shades drawn all day and are using black-outs on your windows, you will not see the effect of the Sun. As, you are far enough North of the Equator to see a difference between the amount of Sunlight (length of the day) between Summer and Winter, so will your Amazon. When that transition will effect your Amazon, that is for you to monitor and note.

Your YNA is still young and you are unlikely to see a defined Hormonal flow this year.

Most Reactions

Latest posts