Changing Dishes with Birds in the Cage without food access doors?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I switched over from plastic food cups to stainless steel, which the girls love. However, I can no longer put the bowls through the guillotine-style feeder doors. in order for me to change the food and water, I have to open the main door. This is not a problem if the birds are out of the cage, but how do I go about it when they are inside the cage? I had to change the water because some wood fell in there and when I opened the door, they took it as a cue to come and the Sun Conure immediately climbed up on me. I am just thinking of situations when I would have to do it without letting them out. How do I do it?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The same way it had been done for years before the cage manufacturers added the many wonderful means of servicing the cage without opening the main cage door. One uses, one's body to block the main cage access door. You are correct, no easy feat, but that is what is involved.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
With my birds, especially my GCC I trained him to stand on the perch in front of his water bowl which is on the opposite side of the cage while putting his food bowl in the ring. Once the bowl is entering the ring he knows he's allowed to go!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Watch some American football and Body Block! I do that with Salty all the time.

Funny story - wife and I visited the local bird only shop. One of the workers had to show a caique to a prospective customer. There were like 15 of them in a big cage, but when she opened the door all of them gave her the bum's rush and all escaped. The look on her face was priceless.
Caiques - mischief on 2 wings.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Watch some American football and Body Block! I do that with Salty all the time.

Funny story - wife and I visited the local bird only shop. One of the workers had to show a caique to a prospective customer. There were like 15 of them in a big cage, but when she opened the door all of them gave her the bum's rush and all escaped. The look on her face was priceless.
Caiques - mischief on 2 wings.

If I were locked in a cage all day with 14 other people, you know that I would make a break for when the door was opened! ;)

Most Reactions