Charlie the Eclectus intro :)

Whimzee

Jan 18, 2018
Parrots
Charlie (Male Eclectus), Lucy (RIP, Blue-Naped Parrot)
Hello all! I'm here to introduce myself and my parrot Charlie, a male Eclectus parrot. Here's some fun facts and stories about us:

I found this forum when searching for fellow Eclectus owner experiences, in order to expand my Eclectus and parrot database. Any new information that helps Charlie is always good, because I'm always learning! And the anecdotal Eclectus stories on this forum are hilarious because they ring so true, lol.

We got Charlie at 7 months old in August 2016. He's just about 2 years old, his birthday is coming up in February. Personality-wise, Charlie is a mellow dude, but is pretty active on his hanging ring or whenever he wants to be. While he's not exactly a cuddler in the cockatoo sense, he is a loving guy whose only care in the world is having his humans nearby, or if possible hanging out on our shoulders or sitting with us on the couch. If we leave a room too long, he jumps onto the floor and runs after us! This guy is a lover!

We are working on harness training with him. So far he tolerates his Aviator harness, and he looks rather dashing in its blue color. :D So when it is warm enough we take him on walks. This also allows us to socialize him with the foreign outdoors and friendly people we meet. We have a frozen yogurt establishment who loves to see him when we visit. We even take him on 10+ hour road trips to visit family. What a trooper! :)

My first parrot was a rescue bird that entered my life when I was about 5 years old. It's a cool story actually. Here goes! My family was living on an Air Force Base at the time, and my dad was an MP. One day my dad got a call that a bird flew into a neighbor's house, so he took my brother's old parakeet cage to go and pick it up. It happened to be an extremely rare Philippine Blue-Naped parrot! He took it home, after catching it with a blanket, and waited for the Lost Bird ad to prompt the owner to show up. Well, we believe the parrot might have been smuggled into the country, because no one called. So we kept the parrot and gave her a name, Lucy. My mom decided she was female, lol. And in time we found out she was right.

Poor Lucy, she had to deal with completely new, bumbling parrot owners! There was such poor information about bird diets and psychology 25 or so years ago... But, I like to think that we gave her a wonderful life in comparison to where she might have come from.

She was kooky and ornery, and the best pet I ever had. She was great with me and my other two siblings as well. Then about 2 years ago she passed away. So, from 5 years old until I was about 30 years old, we had Lucy in the family. I will always miss her.

Because of Lucy I wanted to bring another parrot into my new life with my husband. That's when I started researching rescue birds in my 100+ mile area, but there were none to be found. So then I started researching good breeders and types of birds good for our home situation. It just so happened that Eclectus parrots were right up our alley, and to make it even better, the males were green, just like my best bird friend Lucy. I know that looks don't really matter, but I missed Lucy so much and I was so happy to find another green bird. :) I couldn't be happier with my choice in finding Charlie. For all sorts of reasons he really fits well into our family. Of course, I would love to move south to a warmer locale one day, like when I retire, and focus on some rescue birds. But until then, my lifelong buddy Charlie is awesome.

I'm not sure how active I can be on this forum, but I hope to visit as often as I can. If anything, it's a great source for information, so thank you for everyone's experiences and tips. Doing this post from my phone is somewhat limiting as well, but hopefully I can put some pictures of Charlie up in the gallery soon.

Sorry this was long! Sometimes you just get on a roll...x_x

Thank you!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to you and Charlie!
I am so sorry for your loss of Lucy, but what a wonderful legacy she left behind.
I'm looking forward to more pictures of Charlie, he is beautiful in your avatar!
I'm so happy you joined us!

OP
Whimzee

Whimzee

Jan 18, 2018
Parrots
Charlie (Male Eclectus), Lucy (RIP, Blue-Naped Parrot)
Hi again Terry. :) Thank you again! And you are so right about Lucy. I'm so glad a bird randomly flew into my life one day.

Your flock is amazing by the way! So many of them! I can only imagine all of the personalities you have to work with, lol.

Parrot_775

Banned
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Parrots
GCC Beauty - GCC Beast - Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Woodstock - Cockatoo is Gone - Cockatiel Stella
I was gonna get a female Eclectus put I found a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. We do have a large Eclectus population on this board, I am sure you will find answers to any questions you may have, and lots of pics videos and stories about Eckies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and Charlie! Thanks for joining with a wonderfully expressive introduction!

Very sorry you lost Lucy, her companionship spanned the majority of your life.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome, what a lovely intro! Looking forward to hearing more about Charlie and your family :)

Most Reactions