Chest gets bulged up

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
My conure's chest gets buldged up after eating idk y...but its actions are normal. I recently noticed it pooping a bit often but the poop seems to be normal ( it had its shape ) it was brown in colour coz I had given carrots for it. Today I had introduced small sized pellets (fruit mix ) as my vet told to do so. This buldging happened B4 but den in d next day morning it became normal.
My concern is ..why is it buldging in d chest area after eating or is it saving d food inside..btw it's only 8 months old

25509d1608832920-chest-gets-buldged-up-zz4a1m.jpg

25510d1608832963-chest-gets-buldged-up-zz4a1n.jpg

Should I make d pellets wet n give ?

25511d1608833001-chest-gets-buldged-up-zz4a1o.jpg

I'm new to birds..dats y I'm scared of each of its changes as I have no idea.. thank you in advance for Ur helpful responses
The below was how it became B4...I had mentioned right..it happened B4..this is how it looked..but den next morning it became alright...plz some find cure for dis

25508d1608828945-chest-gets-buldged-up-img_20201222_231830__01.jpg

Attachments

• zz4a1m.jpg
    zz4a1m.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 433
  • zz4a1n.jpg
    zz4a1n.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 289
  • zz4a1o.jpg
    zz4a1o.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Re: Chest gets buldged up

It's probably his crop. Is he eating on his own or are you hand-feeding?
All birds have a crop that fills up and then empties. The reason I ask about hand feeding is because babies can get issues with sour crop etc or air bubbles in their crop, but it just depends because to an extent, some bulging is normal...You said it is emptying though, right?

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020

He is eating on his own..yea it did get emptied previously..is it a problem or is it normal ?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

It sounds normal as long as it isn't staying bulged out for many hours without emptying. It should empty and feel loose/flat at some point and then it usually bulges out again after they eat a lot. If it isn't emptying or is emptying very slowly, that can be an issue (or if it looks like it is HUGE), but from what you have said, this sounds normal, especially since a vet confirmed this.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020

Thank you so much... Jzt one doubt.. Should I moist d pellets or no need..coz it has adapted to eating it without making it moist .

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

You can, but if you do, I wouldn't leave them in for more than an hour or 2 before changing the bowl and washing it with Dawn or other safe soap. If your bird will eat them dry, that is fine, but if not, moistening them is fine too but bacteria etc can grow more easily.

If he's still pretty young, I'd do whatever works...Others may have different opinions, but I see no issue with it and I know others have moistened theirs when dealing with picky birds etc.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm thinking you mean 8 weeks. As he is still a baby. Babies need to eat frequently all day long. A hsbd fed baby will have a big crop after esting, but usually you don't see this as they get older. If he has been going to long between meals he may try and over est???? All my birds have free choice food.

There is do much fresh healthy food we can share with our parrots. You can start now by offering leafy lettuces, like Swiss chard, bok choy, Romaine lettuce , chopped up or chunks of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, and hit chili peppers are favorites of parrots and are a good source of vitamin A, a table spoon of boiled egg, ir scrambled egg, cooked oatmeal, cooked quinoa, or cooked lentils, cooked legumes,
Greenbank, peas, celery, carrots,
There us so much great stuff yiu can offer in addition to their regular food. Thus us definitely the age to start introducing him to healthy fresh stuff.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm thinking you mean 8 weeks. As he is still a baby. Babies need to eat frequently all day long. A hsbd fed baby will have a big crop after esting, but usually you don't see this as they get older. If he has been going to long between meals he may try and over est???? All my birds have free choice food.

There is do much fresh healthy food we can share with our parrots. You can start now by offering leafy lettuces, like Swiss chard, bok choy, Romaine lettuce , chopped up or chunks of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, and hit chili peppers are favorites of parrots and are a good source of vitamin A, a table spoon of boiled egg, ir scrambled egg, cooked oatmeal, cooked quinoa, or cooked lentils, cooked legumes,
Greenbank, peas, celery, carrots,
There us so much great stuff yiu can offer in addition to their regular food. Thus us definitely the age to start introducing him to healthy fresh stuff.

This is true too, but I didn't mean leave him without food- I just meant that if you are wetting the pellets, you should remove and replace because of bacterial risk.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Welcome to you and your lovely Sun Conure!! Bulging chest most likely a full crop, as suggested above.

Here's an image of one of my Goffins Cockatoos just after hand feeding. You can see the round bulge of a filled crop! Add a bunch of feathers and the appearance is noticeable but less pronounced.

UhSZAIA.jpg

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020

But he is 8 months old...not 8 weeks ..

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I think he just posted that because the bird was "naked" which allows you to see the crop's location etc.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Most Reactions