Chop mix!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I've decided to give chop mix another chance since the last batch didn't go over very well with her Highness.

Last night I rinsed the beans and then let them soak overnight, and today they got cooked as well as some brown rice.

Sliced yellow zucchini, chopped mini peppers, and grated (cooked) beets

Grated butternut squash, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots

And finally steamed brussel sprouts

Mixed up!

Portioned and packaged, now I have two months worth of servings!

And most importantly, her Highness was actually eating it!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That looks amazing, Shirre! I am so happy Chili is eating it, it makes the hard work so worth it:) And now you are set for awhile! I am going to try that recipe for sure:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet, Shirre! I think I want to take a stab at doing some chop, myself. Might be borrowing a few of your ingredients, my friend.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
I've decided to give chop mix another chance since the last batch didn't go over very well with her Highness.

Last night I rinsed the beans and then let them soak overnight, and today they got cooked as well as some brown rice.

Sliced yellow zucchini, chopped mini peppers, and grated (cooked) beets

Grated butternut squash, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots

And finally steamed brussel sprouts

Mixed up!

Portioned and packaged, now I have two months worth of servings!

And most importantly, her Highness was actually eating it!!

That looks amazing, Shirre! I am so happy Chili is eating it, it makes the hard work so worth it:) And now you are set for awhile! I am going to try that recipe for sure:)

Aww Shirre, That looks AWESOME.... and I just love Chili :eek:

Its really funny, our birds "chop" is BETTER than what most people eat LOL

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Thank you! I stole the cauliflower and brussel sprouts idea from you- from last time we talked chop [emoji4] not sure about the cauliflower but she LOVED the brussel sprouts!!

Sweet, Shirre! I think I want to take a stab at doing some chop, myself. Might be borrowing a few of your ingredients, my friend.

Go for it! 😊 I just kind of picked produce at random while at the store, but it was fairly easy to make! I might try chopping up some smaller and seeing if the budgies will eat it lol

Aww Shirre, That looks AWESOME.... and I just love Chili :eek:

Its really funny, our birds "chop" is BETTER than what most people eat LOL

Thank you Joe!

My husband is always saying how chili eats better than we do lol 😱

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Can't wait to try that, it looks yummy. It's so nice to have frozen meals ready to use. Very kind of Chilli to compliment the chef.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Can't wait to try that, it looks yummy. It's so nice to have frozen meals ready to use. Very kind of Chilli to compliment the chef.

She seems to like it! Half of what I gave her was missing -either eaten or tossed, sometimes it's hard to tell LOL and it is easier when there's less daily prep. I'm going to portion out her fresh fruits and veggies tomorrow, which is also a meal (breakfast)- I try to change it a little each week so it's always a smidge different.

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
That looks awesome! Ducati's cage is right next to the couch where I sit and I always get a whiff of his food. I can really smell the cilantro and red pepper. Makes me hungry and I constantly think about eating it myself! I found these awesome little portion pack baggies at Walmart that have the measurements on the bag. Put about 1/4 cup in them, then into the freezer bag they go.

My husband joked as well about the bird eating better than us. "You make more for the bird than you do me.":09:

Most Reactions