Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Made 2 batches of chop, so far. Froze the chop, 2 servings per baggie. Each time , the thawed baggies are full of veg juice on the bottom, and the chop is really wet n soggy. One I made finely chopped, the other is more coarse, does not seem to make a difference. What am I doing wrong? Used a food processor both times. Both are greens and peppers, basically.

Add sponges? Baby diapers? Shredded wheat? Drain and dry before I serve it?

Advice, please.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I take my out overnight to thaw it.In the morning I pour it in a strainer.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I usually add my thawed chop mix to other things, like ground pumpkin seeds, flax and hemp seeds, and maybe fresh pasta so it soaks everything up.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
when I make chop I always wring the handful in the sink to get rid of excess water before putting it into the freezer.

I also defrost only what I need when I need it, putting into a small bowl with water, then drain the water off when heated. Then serve!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I add quinoa (cooked) to my veggies. Also rolled oats (uncooked). Both soak up the "wet" quite well.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I add quinoa (cooked) to my veggies. Also rolled oats (uncooked). Both soak up the "wet" quite well.

I have been following Chris's (The Chop King) instructions with a great amount of success. The key is not to make it too wet in the first place - think wet into the freezer, soggy coming out. I have used as above but also milled flax seed and chia seed as well as fine pasta stars, but add some uncooked into the mix as this helps soak up any unwanted moisture. I find I am not having to drain the chop just heat slightly and serve. Experiment with you combinations also. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
My first batch of chop was wet like that, I would drain and add oats to the dish to soak up the "broth." Now, I leave the peppers out of the frozen mix and cut them fresh and add to the defrosted chop mix. It seems to have kept the frozen component less soggy.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't ever freeze. I have never done it, because like you, I'd worry whether I'd need a sponge, baby diaper, shredded wheat, etc... :52:

Joking aside, adding the more absorbent stuff like grains sounds like it does the trick.

Also.... Who invented the word "chop" (rhetorical question)... about 10 or so years ago on the forums and groups that wasn't even a word yet. You'd just say veggies or fresh food or something.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanks people, some good ideas that we will try, starting to tommorow. Salty got fresh everything today, because I steam cleaned his cage and he was VERY UPSET with me. How dare I take all his STUFF out of his home and do junk to it. That cloudy white stuff doesn't look very tasty.

OK to nuke chop ?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I nuke frozen chop in a bit of water. Drain water after, and serve. Works great!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Also.... Who invented the word "chop" (rhetorical question)... about 10 or so years ago on the forums and groups that wasn't even a word yet. You'd just say veggies or fresh food or something.

The only thing I can think it comes from is like, a chop salad? That's been a term for forever.

Most Reactions

Latest posts