Chop recipe's

April12

May 1, 2020
I want to get my Quaker on a healthy diet. He currently eats only seeds and some fruit and vegetables that I put in. I tried giving him pallets but he didn't eat them. What kind of healthy chop recipe's do you have?

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 8 Pro koristeći Tapatalk

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Oh my - the list is long for chop recipes. A good start is the sticky threads in the diet forum. I try to include a good variety of different coloured vegetables, a little bit of fruit and some cooked whole grains in mine. Thereā€™s also a good sticky on safe foods which is helpful. I include more veggies than fruit (more nutrients, less sugar). Itā€™s also helpful to try chopping things in different sizes to see what your bird prefers. Mine like their stuff chopped pretty small - others prefer larger pieces. Mine tend to pick out only preferred veggies if the pieces are too large, which is harder to do when things are chopped smaller :). My chop mixes vary, depending what I end up with from the grocery store but usually include some of these: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, kale, spinach, peppers, corn, squash, cooked sweet potato, mango, pineapple, apple, berries, peaches, cranberry, pomegranate seeds, cooked grains. I do freeze my chop in small portions, so I undercook the grains a bit and they soak up the excess moisture when the veggies thaw (preventing soggy chop). I have 6 smaller birds, so I freeze in one day portions for my crew. My cockatiel steadfastly refuses to eat chop - so I give her broccoli and other greens in her cage and she picks at them.

Attachments

• 4E46B3F4-C8C2-43DC-89CB-BAB2596814AF.jpg
    4E46B3F4-C8C2-43DC-89CB-BAB2596814AF.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 172

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You donā€™t need a recipe, per se. If itā€™s edible, throw it in!

Keep it simple ans start with chop of 5 ingredients. Start with a grain base, brown rice if you like, or quinoa.

Build on it: peppers, a leafy green, a root vegetable, a frozen vegetable, maybe a seed.

And fabulous advice from Jen about different colors. Itā€™s called eating the rainbow, different colors are actually advertisements For different nutrient contents/profiles.

Use this base and as you get comfortable, improvise.

Remember, if itā€™s healthy, feed it. you canā€™t go wrong Feeding anything edible, donā€™t worry about specifics. Throw stuff at the bowl! Itā€™s literally impossible to make a mistake. Itā€™s not like baking a cake. Youā€™re making a salad...literally. No recipe required :)

Youā€™ll find as you work more with it youā€™ll develop a type. Some like to throw 30-40 ingredients into chop in the name of complete nutrition. Others like myself keep it simple to 10 or so ingredients so the chop is different every time. It takes nutrition more as a longer haul approach.

Most Reactions