Christmas Decorations

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello
Do you have any advice concerning Christmas Decorations etc.
I love my Moses and I am very careful to keep my home parrot friendly and accident free, but i always could use advice.Even when guests come to visit.
Thank you and God Bless
Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_150417_1.jpg
    IMG_20200716_150417_1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 44

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Christmas is always a very difficult time with Parrot, especially the mid to larger ones.
They are naturally inspired to play with and shift location of decorations, if lucky or turn them into tiny bits.

Remember, that what you put out can be totally avoid or become their new favorite play thing.

Our Amazon is a strong flier and loves to create large puffs of air that cause the Christmas tree to move in the breeze as he passes by at speed. We have found that shifting the decoration deeper into the tree helps with them no falling off.

Guest are always an issue. We assure that we know where our Amazon is prior to opening an exterior door and always remembering to announce that we have a Parrot and that he is fully flighted and loves to crew on fingers. We find that it helps keep the guests from running up to say hi!! As people leave, the common statement is: Where is Julio as his location away from the exterior door becomes very important.

Expect your Parrot to add to the overall volume of the goings-on!!

Wishing You, A Very Merry Christmas!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You could try decorating with natural bird-safe ingredients like cranberry and popcorn strings. Maybe a Victorian Christmas with paper and cloth and dried fruit decorations would be good.

I would concern myself mostly with keeping little fussy objects that could be ingested away from the bird. I’m guessing that some holiday decorations may contain lead or other metals that aren’t good to be eaten or chewed on.

My birds get a supervised photo opportunity with holiday decorations and then I just keep them away.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great point and especially true regarding vintage decorations!!

Out big guy tends to be less than interested in our tree and its decorations as he likely believes that the small branches are not to be trusted!

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Great point and especially true regarding vintage decorations!!

Out big guy tends to be less than interested in our tree and its decorations as he likely believes that the small branches are not to be trusted!
Hello Moses (Ecky) is not interested in the branches as well as the bulbs on the branches. He does like to jump on the cotton tree skirt and toss the little houses off the raised counter we placed the tree on :) Moses loves us so much he usually follows us to the room we are located so he does not go into the living room often where the tree is located, as he likes to follow us to the family room:) thank you for your advice and Merry Christmas:)

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_093230388.jpg
    IMG_20221126_093230388.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 38

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello Moses (Ecky) is not interested in the branches as well as the bulbs on the branches. He does like to jump on the cotton tree skirt and toss the little houses off the raised counter we placed the tree on :) Moses loves us so much he usually follows us to the room we are located so he does not go into the living room often where the tree is located, as he likes to follow us to the family room:) thank you for your advice and Merry Christmas:)
I had a cherry headed conure with green and red coloration like Moses and I used to sing “O Christmas Bird” to him, with slightly edited lyrics. So there you go; a new song to teach him.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I had a cherry headed conure with green and red coloration like Moses and I used to sing “O Christmas Bird” to him, with slightly edited lyrics. So there you go; a new song to teach him.
Hi there thanks for that as Moses loves music, he sings lalalalala alot he also likes Alan Jackson and Elvis Gospel music as i hear him hmmmmm the songs:))) send me the lyrics of your Christmas Bird Song thank you and God Bless his Creations tall and small ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts