Christmas tree question.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Hello everyone.
Iā€™m not sure if this is the right place to post this, and I am sure itā€™s been discussed before. Looking into what is Christmas tree is safe for birds has been confusing. Last year our artificial tree was fine because our cockatiels and budgies seemed not to notice it at all. But now we also have an Amazon that is very curious with anything new we bring into the home and spends most of his time out of his cage so I know I am going to have to get another tree and new ornaments all together.

I have read that the natural trees are generally safe however we live in a warm climate where any natural trees that are here have to be sprayed with chemicals to preserve them. Years ago when I lived in Canada we would we just go cut down our own tree. Which I never really appreciated as much as I do right now!

I have been looking for artificial trees but worry about what they are made of since most of what I have seen on the websites for the stores in our area seem not to list what they are made out of or anything that might be used to treat it.

So with this I am wondering if anyone can recommend what ā€œbrandsā€ of tree is safe for an artificial tree or what I should look for?

Thanks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for posing a timely question of tree safety in appropriate location! Twin issues are outgassing of fumes and ingestion hazards. I would be leery of fresh sprays as fragrance indicates transmission of potential chemical hazards throughout your home. Lead, cadmium, and other heavy metals are extraordinarily deadly if consumed and widely used, particularly with imported items. Some states ie California have Proposition 65 warnings, others silent. Good luck, hope you find a natural tree!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sprayed? I also live in a warm climate, zone 9, and have never heard of trees being sprayed! There are several, cut your own, farms here too!

OP
Newfie-N-Tx

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Sprayed? I also live in a warm climate, zone 9, and have never heard of trees being sprayed! There are several, cut your own, farms here too!
My hope is our Birdy Boy Mummer doesnā€™t see the tree like a giant toy and is like our other birdy babies and leaves it alone! I really canā€™t predict how he will react to one.

I didnā€™t know that some they treat with preservatives with natural trees and that the fertilizers some places use can use types of fertilizers that can be unsafe(this only after looking into it).

I miss those farms so much! Growing up going to either one of those farms or just going into the woods to cut down our own always was like the signal that the holidays had begun! Now living where the palm, mesquite and tropical fruit trees are in place of the types of trees used for Christmas trees it still always feels weird to me.

This year it seems like thereā€™s only one place selling natural Christmas trees set up on the side of the road to buy a natural tree, besides the large chain type stores that carry them. We will go out today and see if we can find a natural tree that says it wasnā€™t treated with any chemicals.

Thanks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts