Citron Cockatoo

mth281

Mar 7, 2015
This is Corky, I adopted him a few months back. He is an amazing bird, quieter then my cockatiel for the most part. I just found this forum and will be on a lot. Im pretty sure hes a purebred citron, but i did just learn there are hybrids. Figuared someone on here could confirm it. He is the most lovable bird i have ever met. He pets me, yells my name when he sees me outside. Just found out from my neighbors, who also have an african grey (i live in a small apartment complex with 4 apartments) that he meows at their cats and barks at outside dogs. He likes to yell hi to the people on the street, then they laugh so he laughs louder. He is 15 years old, i am the 6th owner(hes micros chipped and tagged) i was really worried about him have behavioral problems. He was shredding a bit underneath his wings but their getting way better. So far he seems to like me a lot. Ive been taking him on walks outside the last few days and he seems to really enjoy it.

So two questions for the experienced(this is my first cockatoo). Does he look like a purebred citron? His crest is bright orange. Hes got yellow cheeks and yellow under his wings and tail.
And second, hes very attached to me(gets mad when i have people over and dont talk to just him). I have been taking him for walks around the block on my arm, his wings are not clipped and i dont use a leash. He doesnt even seem interested in going anywhere, he loves being on my arm. He even let the neighbors pet him(they talk to him threw the window on nice days) Do any of you have any experience with taking them outside? Is it safe? Id like to get him to the point where i can take him to parks and maybe even train him to fly around a bit. I dont like leaving him all copped up in a cage and would love to give him some exercise.

Attachments

• corky 002.jpg
    corky 002.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • corky 003.jpg
    corky 003.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,637
  • corky 004.jpg
    corky 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 894

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
It is definitely not safe to take him out without a harness and leash. Even if he enjoys sitting on your arm it only takes one small thing , like a car horn or a dog running by, to startle him and he will be gone. Please have his safety as your first priority.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
He looks like a citron to me. Beautiful too!

I agree with Sonja. Taking him outside without a harness is a disaster waiting to happen.

OP
M

mth281

Mar 7, 2015
Whats the best way to get them use to a harness? Id love to take him in public, he loves talking to people. I work a lot and feel bad about leaving him at home all day. I work across the street from where i live. I can yell his name and he'll yell back when im at work. Id love to figuare out a way to bring him to work. Then he can hang out back so we can talk all day. But a leash would make me feel bad. Maybe ill just build an outdoor cage for him. Are citrons rare? I came across him by accident and payed 100 for him and the cage. They were regulars at my work. I know i got a steal because hes very well behaved, he was a little skinnier then id like but im fattening him up. From what ive read there's less then 2000 left in the wild(thanks to the logging companies). I cant even find a breeder for them. I was told by a local shop that sells big birds that they are harder to come by then most cockatoos and a bit more pricy.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
There are lots of Youtube videos on harness training although it will depend on the bird how easy it is. Leashes are a little different, being more like falconer's equipment where a harness is more like baby reigns - most people feel harnesses are less likely to hurt a bird if it tries to take off in a hurry. You don't mention what country you're in but speaking of birds of prey, if you're going outdoors a lot you need to be aware what predators are out there, particularly hawks in areas where they're used to humans being around. You can train birds for free flight out doors but it comes with risks - there's a forum subsection for free flight if you want to have a browse.

Citrons are about the same price as Umbrellas in the UK, and unfortunately they're critically endangered in the wild, both due to the logging trade and illegal trapping. The ones I've meet have been adorable birds, although reading up on problem behaviour in adult toos is worthwhile so that you know what boundaries to teach him as a youngster. He looks beautiful though!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
He's beautiful! Looks like a Citron to me but I'm no expert. I agree with others that taking him outside without a harness or leash is very risky. I, personally, would try a harness. The aviator harness is the one I am going to try this summer with my flock. You said you will feel bad having him on a leash but, trust me, you will feel worse if your baby flies off if he gets spooked.

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
That's my dream bird! What a cutie. Where did you adopt him from?

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
Citroncrested cockatoos are listed on CITES appendix I and are therefore illegal to buy or sell without the correct paperwork. So I wouldn't go around admitting that on public forums... Just a tip :) Paying for a cage and getting the bird "free" is still illegal. They're not illegal to keep or gift though, you don't need paperwork for that. It's the financial transaction or trade that's prohibited.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I agree that you should harness train him. I am just wondering how good of shape the cage is in? I mean you got a great deal for the bird and cage so if the cage is in bad shape I would get a new one soon. If you have a balcony on your apartment or porch, I would roll his cage out there, so he can be outside without the risk of him flying away. Just remember to roll him in when your not there with him.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
It is not illegal to buy Citrons within your own state. It sounds like the transaction was local. It is against the law to sell them across state lines.

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
It is not illegal to buy Citrons within your own state. It sounds like the transaction was local. It is against the law to sell them across state lines.

Do the US not follow CITES, then? I'm in Europe but thought it was global?

Edited to add: Hmm, I stand corrected; it appears you are right! How very odd!

Also, meant to say, absolutely stunning bird! I've got a soft spot for citrons :)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Looks like the OP pics are a Citron!! I've read some discussions of Citron-Lesser Sulphur Crested hybrids, bit his colors appear definitive!

I have no experience with harness training as my locale is rife with raptors. Could not in good conscious take the chance outdoors.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Welcome to the forum and what a handsome too. I share a story about a too that the police were called out on. Woman arriving to work in the mornings and parking their cars in the office lot kept getting wolf whistled at from the apartments on the other side of the lot. Turns out it was a too sitting on his balcony, lol. Of course they had no issues and laughed when they found out who their whistler was, lol.

I think it's great you take him out and if he loves to talk to people let him, great socialization. Definitely get a harness and watch out for predatory birds. I'm working with my two so I can take them out, they enjoy seeing new things. Keep us posted on how you all are doing.

OP
M

mth281

Mar 7, 2015
His cage is large and in good shape. I adopted him from an old couple. There at the age they are babysitting their grandchildren. And with cockatoos being moody they didnt trust him around them, they had him in a back room by himself. They had a beautiful mawcaw in their living room the little ones could feed. They just wanted a good home for him. I have all the paperwork from the original breeder so i know hes legal to own. I was told he was very attached to their son and he didnt like anyone else. But so far he seems like he really likes me. I live in ralston nebraska, its a small area of omaha, There are a few halks and predators around but very rarely. Ill have to look up about the flying harness's, there are two nice big parks two block from my place I think he'd like to go. Im only 23 and hes 15, so we have a lot of time to get to know each other. Id like to get to the point i can take him outdoors, I love to frisby golf and fish and i think he'd enjoy going outdoor with me.

Last edited:

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Hi and welcome! You have a stunning bird there. I agree with what everyone said, please invest in an aviator harnass. It is so worth it to know you are keeping your bird safe and being able to take them outside. The thing is that it is very easy to get to a point of "it won't happen to me, he did not fly away last time" etc. And then it does.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hawks will attack a Cockatoo without hesitation!!!! It's better to be cautious on having a leash on him just in case. But if you look on YouTube videos of a hawk coming down to attack a Cockatoo on the trainer but the trainer blocked to save the Cockatoo.

Here's the video!

[ame="http://youtu.be/ikDpYwDKQ_A"]http://youtu.be/ikDpYwDKQ_A[/ame]

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
It's not too often that a hawk will come after your bird if your bird is on you. Hawks are generally afraid of humans and would have to be really hungry to try it. If your bird is by itself or flying that's another story.

Most Reactions

Latest posts