Cleaning a cage used by another bird

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Hey guys,

This morning my wife was going to the car for work and found a Cockatiel on the ground under our trailer (poor thing). We have placed it in our spare cage (one we use if we are hosing out Pebbles or Gizmo's main cage or if we want them to have some time outside in the sun).

I am very concerned about spreading a disease to Pebbles or Gizmo, but what could we do (it was far too early in the morning to take it anywhere).

A friend will be picking it up this afternoon to care for it and to minimize the risk to Pebbles and Gizmo. We have put out the word, and in the meantime, we have shifted the cage to our workshop at the back of the property (to maintain some form of isolation).

I really hope the owner gets our messages, I know I would be worried sick if Pebbles or Gizmo went missing.

Anyway that's the back story, now to my question. What steps would be advisable to clean the cage to ensure Pebbles and Gizmo are safe when we next use the cage?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and here is a picture of this poor boy or girl should anyone be able to tell something (sex, age, etc. which may help to track down the owner)

Cheers,

Cameron

Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I would just use a diluted bleach solution on it and then rinse very very well. Of course clean it where the birds won't get fumes.

If I couldn't go somewhere to keep fumes off, I'd spray with vinegar and then spray with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. don't rinse vinegar prior to using the peroxide. Rinse and dry.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
First off, I think it's great that you took in that poor cockatiel! I really hope that you and your friend are able to reunite him(?) with his owner.

As for cleaning that cage, I may be both the right and wrong one to guide you with that. Hahaha!

I only say that because I'm so paranoid about disease that I tend to overdo it. Funny enough, I literally just did such a cage cleaning the other day!

Usually I would mix Clorox and Lysol, but my wife found a Clorox based Lysol cleanser and picked it up for me. So I took the cage apart and sprayed down every millimeter of its component surfaces, and down into every crevice... repeatedly. Then I scrubbed every piece with a hard bristle brush... repeatedly. And then I hosed every piece down with my hose on jet spray... repeatedly.

Any fabric type material was tossed, as well as anything wooden.

Probably overkill, but I was fairly sure by the end that cage was disease free.

Last edited:
OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Thanks for the quick replies. He/She has been whistling and preening, and ate some food and drank some water, so all good signs, luckily last night was a fairly warm night.

As for cleaning that cage, I may be both the right and wrong one to guide you with that. Hahaha!

No I think we share the same overly exaggerated concern (I had considered just donating the cage, which my wife was not too impressed about:D).

Cheers,

Cameron

Most Reactions

Latest posts