Cleaning Chemicals

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
I'm about to be the proud owner of a baby male Ekkie, and the more I read on parrots the more I realize how much information has changed within the last 10yrs; this is good!

More to the point, I'm reading about fumes from cleaning chemicals; I already know about PFTE PFBE, stove cleaning etc. However, I'm wondering about Pine Sol, Windex, and those more common chemicals that are used... of course I'd never let my bird get close to those items I just cleaned but, but are those fumes toxic for birds?

Furthermore, I swear I recall my Ex (vet) saying that there are organic cleaning solvents on the market... anyone have suggestions for both floor/toilet cleaning, as well as glass cleaners?

Thank you,
Chris

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Congratulations on your upcoming Ekkie boy! I know you've been looking far and wide. How far away from you did you find him?

Some of the commonly recommended cleaning products known to be safe are F10 SC, a veterinary disinfectant, (super concentrate- 1:250 with water) or good old white vinegar, which smells a bit funky for a while, but it works, and it's cheap. Don't mix with hot water though, as that can cause a fume issue as well. I always keep the birds as far from whatever I use during the process, just as a matter of extra precaution. Better safe than sorry, right?

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
He's in KY., I'm far east in NC... so I believe it will be a 9-10hr drive just to pick him up lol. However, I'm really looking forward to the adventure.

White vinegar rings a bell... that's what my mother used when they had a sulfer crested cockatoo! I remember that pungent smell lol, and I remember that they did use that as an alternative to chemicals.

I'm also going to look into that chemical that you mentioned, sounds like I have options. Thanks for the suggestions, most appreciated!

Most Reactions

Latest posts