Cleaning question

180chrs

Jan 11, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello!

I hope everyone has been having a great start in the New Year! I decided to come to the forums today because I have a question about cleaning my bird cage. I awhile back rescued this cockatiel out of a horrible situation living with 7 cockatiels in a 24x12x12 cage, it was always dirty, I rarely saw enough water in there for them, no toys the list goes on. Which is why i decided to rescue him, I never owned a bird myself but my family did have birds growing up so I was very knowledgeable and experienced with many sizes and species of birds. I got him a big cage with a bunch of toys and the best food possible with his own little bird bath. Unfortunately I had him for little over a week and he just passed away in front of me. I unfortunately didn’t get to see much of his personality as he was very skittish and nervous but he was starting to open up by sitting on my hand, or at my desk while i played games. It has been awhile since he has passed and I have planned on getting a green cheek conure for myself and I want to disinfect the cage thoroughly just I don’t really know what caused him to pass so suddenly which is why I want to be thorough with the cleaning process. Which is why I was coming to see if anyone has any recommendations as I know birds are very sensitive to many chemicals, I usually just use some soft soap and water to clean cages in the past but I would like something to deeply disinfect. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated thank you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think to start with, dawn dish detergent to get the worst dirt and loose dirt off. Then I use diluted bleach in water on the mostly clean cage or toy and let it sit as recommended . Then rinse it off or even soak plastic dishes for a little while with plain water to remove any bleach smell.

My neighbor used to do vinegar to disinfect and I think that would also work as well as help remove any calcium deposits.

Rope perches can be thrown in the washing machine with your laundry once the gross droppings are removed. Or can be soaked in the sink with dawn dish soap, swished around, soaked with mild bleach, swished around, soaked with plain water.

Toys and perches can be dried in the oven on low if there is no plastic. This really seems to preserve the wooden perches.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thank you HeatherG that is great advice. Also, sunlight is a good way to kill of harmful bacteria, so after that deep cleaning with bleach, a few days in bright sunlight will complete the cleaning. @180chrs, your concern about your future parrots health means you are going to make a great parront (parrot parent). Welcome aboard, I hope you stick with us!

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
You can use Rescue which is accelerated hydrogen peroxide. It is safer for the environment than bleach. Just make sure you rinse with water, as you would with bleach. If you use bleach, dilute it 1:9 ,bleach to water.

Most Reactions