Cleaning your bird and cage!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 3-5 month old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me regarding cleaning your bird and itā€™s cage:

1. I use plain water to spray my bird once every other day. Is it fine to JUST use water? I heard dawn dish soap is safe for birds, but i donā€™t know how I feel about that. My cockatiel broke a blood feather like a month ago, and the blood that was on the area he pulled from has dried and wonā€™t go. He opens up his wings when I spray him and everything but the blood stain wonā€™t go.

2. CLEANING HIS CAGE: I use plain water to clean his cage fully once a month, and I use news paper to line his cage. Am I supposed to properly disinfect his cage with something other than water?

3. How often Should the cage and the bird be cleaned? Am I doing it correctly?

Thank you to anyone who replies! ā¤ļøšŸ¦œ

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 3-5 month old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me regarding cleaning your bird and itā€™s cage:

1. I use plain water to spray my bird once every other day. Is it fine to JUST use water? I heard dawn dish soap is safe for birds, but i donā€™t know how I feel about that. My cockatiel broke a blood feather like a month ago, and the blood that was on the area he pulled from has dried and wonā€™t go. He opens up his wings when I spray him and everything but the blood stain wonā€™t go.

2. CLEANING HIS CAGE: I use plain water to clean his cage fully once a month, and I use news paper to line his cage. Am I supposed to properly disinfect his cage with something other than water?

3. How often Should the cage and the bird be cleaned? Am I doing it correctly?

Thank you to anyone who replies! ā¤ļøšŸ¦œ
Oh! And a quick question about cage size: i know you should get the biggest cage you can find, but what is the ideal cage size for cockatiels?

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
1. Never use anything else on a bird other than plain water. The blood stain will eventually fade off after a while and just disappear. Even bird shampoos on the market aren't good because any soap can remove the natural oils on a birds skin. The good oils.
2. That's fine. But to disinfect I personally use a 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar. Works wonders and kills bacteria.
3. The cage should be spot cleaned regularly and thoroughly cleaned weekly. Deep cleaned every 1 to 3 months. That's just what I do. However I'm a neat freak with my birds so I like cleaning everything even stands just every single day. But you don't have to go that far. I'm just kind of insane tbh.
4. I hope someone can pitch in for this answer!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yeah I agree, only use plain water ON your bird. As for cage cleaning, I change paper daily, if I see poop on the bars, perches etc. I clean it, the like once every 2-3 weeks I deep clean everything with hot water. Cage size for cockatiels...I have 3 cockatiels and the mated pair is in a 32in.(W)X21in.(D)X35in.(H) then the whole cage with the stand is 62in. tall. I also have my Quaker, Gcc, and the budgies, in these sized cages too. The single cockatiel is in a smaller cage 25in(W)X17in.(D)X27in(H), the whole cage with stand is 53in tall, this cage is fine for a less active or older cockatiel like mine but if you let yours out a lot I think it's good too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Please, no dawn dish soap on your bird unless he gets very very dirty with something! Like, if he were to get some substance all over his feathers that couldnā€™t wash out with water.

Most Reactions