Clipped wings and biting

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I have had my conure escape out of the house twice but fortunately was able to quickly retrieve her. So I get her wigs clipped which I would rather not do as when she is flying, it looks like good exercise for her. But I don't want to lose her.

I am now thinking as she gets her flight capabilities back, she seems to be biting harder and more frequently. I am disciplining her with time outs in the bathroom and she quickly responds to the punishment. I try to hold off on the clipping for as long as possible. I try to wait until she is fully flighted.

I was just wondering if this observation is skewed to my imagination or that clipping a parrot makes it more docile because it is more dependent.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have little clipping experience, most recent was roughly 7 years ago to break a hormonal bite-fest. (as advised by CAV and successful) You were wise taking strong precautions after 2 escapes!

The decision to clip is controversial with arguments either way. Is there an effective way to prevent future escapes? How old is Loki, might coincidental onset of puberty be responsible for increased biting?

OP
B

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
My conure is about 3 years old so and is past puberty. I was thinking her previous biting episode was hormonal related but now thinking this is all related to flight capabilities and confidence.

Not sure how I can prevent escapes unless I don't give her much time out of the cage. I was amazed how fast she found the door opening from a lapse in attention. Both times I was reacting to an outside event. Fortunately both times she immediately came back to to me when I called her name.

I wanted to hear if others in this group noticed any correlation of docility and clipping.

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Is it advisable to wait to clip until she is fully flighted? My understanding that once the decision is made to clip, it should be done in time to prevent full flight. Could removing her ability to fly - once she has experienced flight- be stressful enough to cause the biting behavior?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Is it correct to believe that you are doing the clipping? If so, there is a strong link between you and the loss of flight! I'm fully capable of clipping wings and toenails for that matter, but I do not as I prefer to be the saving individuals from those mean Avian Tech's doing those things to my sweet baby...

To what level is your Parrot being clipped?
Status: Dropped Rock! With extreme effort can flap to the floor! Can glide safely to the floor, but cannot create lift! The correct answer is the last one.

I'm strongly on the do not clip side of the discussion, especially if the Parrot has not fully fledged. The reason is very simple, the Parrot has not fully established the development of its flight muscles, heart and lungs/air sacks.

Strongly recommend that you establish very specific protocols whenever an exterior door is opened, regardless of what is happening outside.

OP
B

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
Thank you all for the replies. You have given me perspectives that I have not thought of and that helps.

I do not clip the wings myself. I take her to the vet. He does a great job and she does glide beautifully to the floor after he does it. He also does a quick check on her health and I like the semi annual check up. I am not confident that I would observe any illness.

I noticed that she was biting a bar with me nowhere near her. I am now thinking this is a hormonal thing.

I tried the protocol thing but if I hear a loud noise outside, I react. There are factors in the design of the house at play too.

Again thanks for the comments.

Most Reactions