Close threads older than a certain time?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It would be a good idea to close any threads older than a certain time, or at least put a rule not to bump very old threads. Example: Threads that haven't been replied to in the last 8 years should be closed, unless the OP wants to keep it up... but often the OP of the thread have been inactive for years..

Or maybe make a rule that threads older than 5 years shouldn't be bumped unless you feel you really need to(or if you're the OP).. I've seen some people "bumping" old threads by replying to them.

Just a suggestion :)

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanks for your suggestion Pip :)

We don't limit access to older threads here - you just never know when someone, either an existing member or a potential new one, might just use their favourite search engine and find an older thread that describes exactly their situation which they may find very helpful, and they may wish to respond to it and say so. Especially if they're a brand new person - hey presto - new member!!

We also often have members who may have been absent for years come back after a long time and wish to update a thread too.

Plus with almost 85,000 threads now up on this forum, my fingers would die of exhaustion searching through them all and working out which ones to close! πŸ˜…

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Well that's a good suggestion because sometimes i don't look at the date of the thread and just reply and then a few hours later I find out they are so old

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well that's a good suggestion because sometimes i don't look at the date of the thread and just reply and then a few hours later I find out they are so old
In that case, you need to just ensure you take note of how old the thread might be - I think we've *all* made that mistake :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks for your suggestion Pip :)

We don't limit access to older threads here - you just never know when someone, either an existing member or a potential new one, might just use their favourite search engine and find an older thread that describes exactly their situation which they may find very helpful, and they may wish to respond to it and say so. Especially if they're a brand new person - hey presto - new member!!

We also often have members who may have been absent for years come back after a long time and wish to update a thread too.

Plus with almost 85,000 threads now up on this forum, my fingers would die of exhaustion searching through them all and working out which ones to close! πŸ˜…
True... well I still think it's a good idea NOT to "bump" old threads unless you have to :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
True... well I still think it's a good idea NOT to "bump" old threads unless you have to :)
It all depends on the circumstances, and we just cannot anticipate or make assumptions as to every single reason why someone may wish to bump an old thread. Some new members don't know how to create their own thread, so they may tack their question onto the end of an older one, and then a Mod will find it and create a new thread for them. Without the ability to access older threads, a new member might just get frustrated and take their question elsewhere, or never get an answer at all.

A thread is generally only closed if the OP requests it, because perhaps it has gone completely off-topic, or generated very heated debate - and thankfully there are not terribly many of those around here :)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Another forum they close the thread when the problem or the question has been answered and helped for the one who started the thread they close it and nobody can answer again i really hated it because i wanted to say something but they close it when the problem has been solved so yaa

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yeah, I also posted on another forum about taming, and just because no-one replied for a month or so, it was closed without warning, and I didn't even get an answer :(

I don't like it if staff close my threads without warning.. I don't think this suggestion is good, because I wouldn't like it if my thread is closed without warning just because it's old

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, I also posted on another forum about taming, and just because no-one replied for a month or so, it was closed without warning, and I didn't even get an answer :(

I don't like it if staff close my threads without warning.. I don't think this suggestion is good, because I wouldn't like it if my thread is closed without warning just because it's old

A month? How very rude! Stick with us Pipp, we wouldn't ever do that to you, or to anyone else!

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
But if you think about it the thread "banned" Is a very popular thread but the owner (OP) hasn't been online for years and if it gets old a really popular thread will be deleted

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
But if you think about it the thread "banned" Is a very popular thread but the owner (OP) hasn't been online for years and if it gets old a really popular thread will be deleted
I don't think so, as the members here keep it very active ;)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
A month? How very rude! Stick with us Pipp, we wouldn't ever do that to you, or to anyone else!
yaa this parrot forum is the best ,friendLY education helpful and a lot of members and mod stay by your side if your feather friend passed away or is sick its AMAZING

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
I see others wrote how it looks like on other forums, so I will write too:
On the first forum I was the admin controls all the threads. If a thread hasn't been used for few months and has just few answers, the thread is delated.
I've never joined any forums before this is my first one :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I am absolutely against closing old posts! The less micromanaging the better! Also, bumping a thread is a decision that is relative at the moment!
Two of my favorite post goofs are when someone sets a new record for missing a date on a really old thread. And when a new member complains about battery life in their parrot!

Most Reactions