Closed a door on my green cheek.

L_0ki

Apr 4, 2022
Parrots
green cheeked conure (loki)
My green cheek was sitting on the door and I slowly started to close it not knowing he was there, he screamed and then there was a bunch of feathers flying around.
he flew over to a rope thats hanging from the ceiling and he wont come down and tried to bite me when I came near.
I noticed a small bald patch on the top of his head that is only visible when his feathers are puffed up so thats where the feathers came from
He is hanging his head and sleeping right now but just a few minutes ago he was moving kind of strangely around and making noises that sounded like he was in pain but he was also playing with a toy.
I cant go to the vet right now what do I do?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If your conure will step up for you, put him back in his cage. Keep him quiet and warm and make sure he has plenty of food and water available. You can put some millet or his favorite things to eat in his cage for him to eat. Call the vet in the morning if you think he has any injuries. There are after hours emergency vets in some cities. If there’s one near your home, you could bring him in.

I am sorry this has happened. It is so easy to accidentally sit on or squish or close a tiny bird in a door or drawer.

OP
L_0ki

L_0ki

Apr 4, 2022
Parrots
If your conure will step up for you, put him back in his cage. Keep him quiet and warm and make sure he has plenty of food and water available. You can put some millet or his favorite things to eat in his cage for him to eat. Call the vet in the morning if you think he has any injuries. There are after hours emergency vets in some cities. If there’s one near your home, you could bring him in.

I am sorry this has happened. It is so easy to accidentally sit on or squish or close a tiny bird in a door or drawer.
I tried to get him to step up onto a perch but he flew down onto my shoulder and bit me. Is there any other way I can get him?

Also, should I put him in his carrier rather than his regular cage? Im worried he will get hurt in it but I don't want to stress him out in the small carrier.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I tried to get him to step up onto a perch but he flew down onto my shoulder and bit me. Is there any other way I can get him?

Also, should I put him in his carrier rather than his regular cage? Im worried he will get hurt in it but I don't want to stress him out in the small carrier.
I would not chase him around. That will stress him out. If you can’t easily move him into his cage, maybe just let him be where he is (if it is safe). Maybe you could scoop him up with a towel? But only if you can pick him up gently without hurting him any further.

Just make sure he has some food and water wherever he is. Is he doing ok? Does anything look wrong or different?

OP
L_0ki

L_0ki

Apr 4, 2022
Parrots
I would not chase him around. That will stress him out. If you can’t easily move him into his cage, maybe just let him be where he is (if it is safe). Maybe you could scoop him up with a towel? But only if you can pick him up gently without hurting him any further.

Just make sure he has some food and water wherever he is. Is he doing ok? Does anything look wrong or different?
He was acting really lethargic mostly. I got him in his cage now and covered it and ill be heading to the vet tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for the help.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So sorry this happened to you, I shut the door on Stormy once, and he required about a day of rehab to be able to eat anything, and about a week of rehab to eat (almost) normally, so it may take time to rehab him and gain his trust back.
Hoping for the best for both of you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I hope all goes well for your bird. I sat on my Quaker once, thinking she was a sock. Luckily she was under my leg not my bottom so she was fine. Mostly she appeared amazed that I would sit on her!

For your bird: If you haven’t already, put some of his favorite food in with him. Many little birds love millet spray.

I’ll be thinking of you both.

OP
L_0ki

L_0ki

Apr 4, 2022
Parrots
Such a horribly common accident! They really won’t move off the door!
How is he now?
He seems fine, he's moving around a lot more and eating now.
Unfortunately the avian vet cant see him until tomorrow, so I don't know for sure if he is okay.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m so glad to hear that. I was worried. Thanks for letting me know he’s ok.

Most Reactions

Latest posts