Co2

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
I recently had a new gas water heater installed and bought a new carbon monoxide detector. I had the fireman come out today and test the air quality and they said they got zero reading of carbon monoxide. I hooked up a carbon monoxide detector and when I got home I saw a readout of 10 PPM. Can somebody tell me what is the threshold that these fids can withstand.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Whew....I once had some info on that in bug n flock thread
I do know they are very sensitive to it! That's why canary in a coal mine

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Article
This one talks levels
Looks like 900ppm is threshold for

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
err Carbon dioxide is completely different from carbon monoxide.

As I understand it carbon monoxide is a product of combustion and if a fuel type heater is not vented properly will cause deadly results.

Carbon dioxide is what people exhale with every breath.
If you take a breath in a large cup you just pored soda in you will be breathing in carbon dioxide.
this triggers a natural response in the body that makes you immediately want to exhale (your body detects the carbon dioxide as air exosted of oxygen and demands fresh air).

Dry ice is lots of fun to play with. As kids my father would bring it home now and then for us to play with (carefully)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I read somewhere that the home version of carbon monoxide detectors are wildly inaccurate, most being very optimistic on the amount of it in a sample of air (meaning they report a lot more than is actually present) ie erroring on the side of caution. That being said, its better to have one than not, even if the thing goes off when the amount is less than is actually present and reported. . What's the level that is dangerous to parrots - that I don't know. Following the thread now!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Not sure how it is in other countries, but in EU you are abided by the law to have the "closed type" of any gas heater/gas water heater.

We have a combi heater which is both for heating up the water and the water for the radiators. The chance of the CO (carbon monoxide) leaking is an absolute minimum, seeing that we have the building's chimney cleaned yearly.

What Tex has suggested is perfect, keeping it next to where the boiler is would be the best point, with any slight elevation of CO levels you can already take action before anything happens.

But as I said, chance of leakage is quite minimum if installed well, but me being a worrywart myself, I understand the way of being really careful and having these monitors.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The EU and North America share in the same requirements of fuel (flame) style heating units. As the units age, rust is a serious issue and that is the reason one wants them inspected yearly, prior to the beginning of the heating season.

Gas measuring devises can drive one nuts especially if you are testing a room as the measurement will change based on the height in which you are measuring and any place where there is a normal flow of air into and out of that room. This variation is why household units are overly sensitive. That been safe thing has tons of merit!

Please remember that the devise has a very limited life, which is commonly 10 years or less!

If your's is attached to a full home system, double check the instructions as many of them are designed to alarm if the electrical AC electrical power fails or is turned-off.

Most Reactions