Coaxing the little genius out for a walk

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
So on weekends I and the bird wake up a little later in the morning and I don’t leave for work usually like I do M-F. I like to take her out for a walk in her pak o bird in the park system she absolutely loves.
But I notice she seems wise to this plan on weekend days. She loves to go for a walk but when I say it she goes into her cage to play hard to get. Anyone else deal with this? Any suggestions because I hate to trick her and force her to comply especially when I know she really does want to go?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My two impressions here are these:

theres one thing standing between her and going outside: the pak o bird. Is she as comfortable with it as you think she is?

“Wanna go outside” or however you phrase it may have developed a negative association somehow, how about simply not saying it? You don’t have to narrate every move you make for the bird.

predictably unpredictable.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
My two impressions here are these:

theres one thing standing between her and going outside: the pak o bird. Is she as comfortable with it as you think she is?

“Wanna go outside” or however you phrase it may have developed a negative association somehow, how about simply not saying it? You don’t have to narrate every move you make for the bird.

predictably unpredictable.
She never fights me when going into the pak o bird. And while in it she enjoys it.
As far as advertising going for a walk I’ve tried a dozen ways to play the game with her. It’s a crap shoot.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Maybe more Pak-O-Bird training. Leave it out on the table or the like all the time and periodically place her on the perch and hand her a favorite treat.

I just place Nike in hers and close it up without any notice and she does fine.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
How about putting perjo in it and then treating her and leaving the flap open so she can egress at will, and do it every night? Salty and I put his harness on almost every night regardless if we are going out, and now when we do go out its a non-event.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Her new thing this summer was to play it up like she wants to go for a walk. Then when I have her step up to go over to the carrier she flies away making me go get her.

They know what they’re doing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts