Cockatiel acting strange

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who is around 5-6 months old.

for the past 2 days he’s been acting a bit different. He’s been acting aggresive, mean and scared. He randomly gets scared of anything and is attacking or biting us for no reason. He’s also acting a bit territorial with his cage. Is he having hormonal changes?

Also, I don’t know if this rlly makes sense or is the cause of this: like 2 days ago he climbed the top of the couch (pic inserted below.) and now LOVES sitting there. He bites us or attacks if we try to get him off 🤷‍♀️ is he acting territorial with this??

And another thing I needed some info on: why is it bad for your bird to constantly be on your shoulder? When we get Kiko to step up the first thing he does is jump on our shoulder before we can even stop him. The only person who can stop him is my brother, he surprisingly listens to him.

Can someone explain this behaviour of his? Is it normal? Why is he acting so mean lately ??

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who is around 5-6 months old.

for the past 2 days he’s been acting a bit different. He’s been acting aggresive, mean and scared. He randomly gets scared of anything and is attacking or biting us for no reason. He’s also acting a bit territorial with his cage. Is he having hormonal changes?

Also, I don’t know if this rlly makes sense or is the cause of this: like 2 days ago he climbed the top of the couch (pic inserted below.) and now LOVES sitting there. He bites us or attacks if we try to get him off 🤷‍♀️ is he acting territorial with this??
I don't see a pic, but based on your description, it may be territorial behaviour. He may be hormonal, but I'm not sure. He is clipped, right? Some clipped birds may start to show aggressive behaviour towards humans.

I think he bites you when on the couch because that's his happy place and you're trying to remove him from there :)

He is also moulting as you said in previous posts, and some birds may become aggressive during moults. My Pippen does but she's always a grumpy potato lol.

I think he's just turning into a teenager, teenagers(humans and birds alike;))can become easily irritated and have sudden mood swings. Teen birds can become more territorial than usual.

Not saying your bird is ill, but sudden behaviour changes may indicate illness. But it's usually not linked to aggression.
And another thing I needed some info on: why is it bad for your bird to constantly be on your shoulder? When we get Kiko to step up the first thing he does is jump on our shoulder before we can even stop him. The only person who can stop him is my brother, he surprisingly listens to him.
It is not bad for them to be on your shoulder. The only reason why people say it is because of "height dominance" which doesn't exist at all. People confuse aggressive behaviour when high as "dominance", but they likely attacked you because they tried to escape from you but you keep going after it, so it's last resort is to bite you/show aggressive behaviour.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I don't see a pic, but based on your description, it may be territorial behaviour. He may be hormonal, but I'm not sure. He is clipped, right? Some clipped birds may start to show aggressive behaviour towards humans.

I think he bites you when on the couch because that's his happy place and you're trying to remove him from there :)

He is also moulting as you said in previous posts, and some birds may become aggressive during moults. My Pippen does but she's always a grumpy potato lol.

I think he's just turning into a teenager, teenagers(humans and birds alike;))can become easily irritated and have sudden mood swings. Teen birds can become more territorial than usual.

Not saying your bird is ill, but sudden behaviour changes may indicate illness. But it's usually not linked to aggression.

It is not bad for them to be on your shoulder. The only reason why people say it is because of "height dominance" which doesn't exist at all. People confuse aggressive behaviour when high as "dominance", but they likely attacked you because they tried to escape from you but you keep going after it, so it's last resort is to bite you/show aggressive behaviour.

Pipp's advice was great, but let me add something about the shoulder. Big birds generally shouldn't be on your shoulder, because if they get startled, they could bite your eyes, nose, mouth, etc, and leave you with a lot of issues.

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Thank you 😊

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Pipp's advice was great, but let me add something about the shoulder. Big birds generally shouldn't be on your shoulder, because if they get startled, they could bite your eyes, nose, mouth, etc, and leave you with a lot of issues.
I have earrings on all the time and when he’s on my shoulder he pulls them and it’s so painful! So I limit him on my shoulder now or I hide my ears. When I wear jewelry he also gets attracted to the shine but I don’t let him play with it bc I’ve heard it’s dangerous :)

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have earrings on all the time and when he’s on my shoulder he pulls them and it’s so painful! So I limit him on my shoulder now or I hide my ears. When I wear jewelry he also gets attracted to the shine but I don’t let him play with it bc I’ve heard it’s dangerous :)
Yup, in that case he should be off the shoulder.

PamnJay

Mar 31, 2022
ST. Croix, Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Ozzy the 6 year old male Eclectus and Taz the 2 year old male White-faced Cockatoo
Taz bites at us all the time, he is just like a cat. Pet me, rub my head, NOT THERE and bite!! He also gets territorial around his favourite places and toys and when we try to move him from where he wants to be. We got used to it, don't like it but got used to it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts