Cockatiel cage reccomendations

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
I was wandering if anyone has cage recommendations? I kinda like the HQ flight cage a lot but it doesn't have a play top and I'm not sure that it is large enough long term. I am looking for one for my cockatiel. He's nearly 6 months and I would really like to up-size his cage since he is getting some longer tail feathers in now. I want something decently large and I would really love for it to have a play top. I was looking at one on amazon that is labeled for a macaw but it is definitely NOT large enough for a macaw of any kind. I reaaalllyy love that one but I wanted to get a few opinions first and hopefully a few recommendations. The dimensions are 32 x 23 x 55.5 inches. Here is the link to the one I am talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...512491872&sr=1-19&keywords=large+Parrot+cagea
I appreciate all recommendations and opinions!
I'm sorry if this was too long but I am really hoping to get some feedback! I think it is definitely time to get a larger cage for my little guy :) :grey:
His current cage dimensions are: 18x25x36

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I like the cage! It seems large enough to allow him to play, climb and sleep in both the cage and on top. The reviews seem decent and it looks well-made for a cockatiel to enjoy. I think your bird would love it!!

OP
S

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
I like the cage! It seems large enough to allow him to play, climb and sleep in both the cage and on top. The reviews seem decent and it looks well-made for a cockatiel to enjoy. I think your bird would love it!!
I agree, I just want to make sure he will be able to use it for a long time! I also have to think about the fact that his tail feathers are still growing in and thats going to make him an inch or so larger. I will eventually get him a new one of course. I am glad that you think this would be a good choice as well because I do really like this one!:)

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi there!

The minimum cage requirement for cockatiels is around 20x20x24 inches, however I've always thought this to be a bit too small! My cockatiel lives in a much larger cage - not sure of the exact dimensions. In terms of cage choice, it really depends on what you're looking for.

The only issue with the cage you included with this post is that it might be intended for larger birds, and not smaller birds like cockatiels. This is a problem because of bar spacing - a cockatiel can easily get its head stuck in bars that are too wide, resulting in injury and even death. The bar spacing for a cockatiel must be at most 5/8 of an inch. I couldn't see this info in the description, so it might still be appropriate - but do keep this in mind when shopping for your new cage.

The cages with a built-in play stand on top are very convenient, especially with only one bird. I have never had one myself, but I think it is a good solution for those who want to save space, however, it is not necessary. For example, my birds have a separate play-space during the day. It all depends on your preference and your bird's preference.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck finding the right cage! :grey:

Last edited:
OP
S

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017

I just saw the comment on the other post.
They do not live in the same cage. All of my birds have seperate cages. I would NEVER place a cockatiel and budgie together. He is just always on top of their cages or trying to be in them with my one male budgie, Minindi. I am not sure how to keep him out as I don't want to close the doors on the cages, because then the budgies wont be able to go in and out. I haven't seen any signs of aggression ( Believe me I watch VERY closely). Minindi and him are always preening each other.. I just didn't know if it was okay to let him hangout in there with minindi during the day ( He wants to go in and the doors are always open for them)

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017

They do not live in the same cage. All of my birds have seperate cages. I would NEVER place a cockatiel and budgie together. He is just always on top of their cages or trying to be in them with my one male budgie, Minindi. I am not sure how to keep him out as I don't want to close the doors on the cages, because then the budgies wont be able to go in and out. I haven't seen any signs of aggression ( Believe me I watch VERY closely). Minindi and him are always preening each other.. I just didn't know if it was okay to let him hangout in there with minindi during the day ( He wants to go in and the doors are always open for them)

I relate, my cockatiel and budgies fly in and out of each other's cages all day, no need to prevent it if there is no aggression! You're clearly a responsible bird owner! :):)

OP
S

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017

I relate, my cockatiel and budgies fly in and out of each other's cages all day, no need to prevent it if there is no aggression! You're clearly a responsible bird owner! :):)
Thank You! Ive seen you all over the forums and you seem like an amazing bird owner!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have an HQ flight cage, although it's currently sitting empty...

Here's a picture of a cherry headed conure (156 grams) plus Casey, my tiel. (they were cage buddies - by Casey's choice...)

d2d94203.jpg

After starting to set the cage up, but having mainly crappy perches to use then

c85823df.jpg

Same cage several years later (conure since passed on), with 5 cockatiels, a bourke parakeet and a budgie in it. (temporary as this is a picture from them being boarded right before I went out of the country)

165603_10150130725476469_1826345_n.jpg

If you don't think the HQ flight cage is large enough, then you might want to consider the Petco large cage... same price as the one on Amazon, but it's larger!

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ges-for-birds/you-and-me-standing-parrot-cage

I only have one cockatiel remaining (Casey - as seen in the first couple of photos - she was the youngest of them all) and she now lives in a walk in aviary with one other bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts