Cockatiel can’t stand up

skyispurple

Dec 27, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My cockatiel is untamed, so when i took her yesterday to the vet, because i thought she has a broken wing (she didnt have one actually, was only injuried), she lost all of her tail. When i got home with her and i put her in the cage, she couldn’t stand up, she tried climbing the cage, she went up a little, but that was it. Her legs are moving, she just wont stand up. She is 5 years old

Edit. I think she has a broken leg, her right one. She cant really use it

Attachments

• 0E5D1E59-98D5-41E7-94F0-1197101DA260.jpeg
    0E5D1E59-98D5-41E7-94F0-1197101DA260.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome. I'm sorry your cockatiel is injured. I don't know as much about injuries so hopefully other members will post when they see this. Do you have any way to add extra warmth for her? It can help sick or injured birds feel better. A hot water bottle outside the cage next to where she's resting maybe?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry about your cockatiel. Some birds release all their tail feathers when they are afraid, this happened with my Bourke's when we took her from the carrier. They will grow back.

Is your vet an avian vet? Something could have happened during the exam, and a non-avian vet may not have realized it.
She needs to see a vet immediately either way, because if her leg is broken she is in tremendous pain.
I'm not sure where you are located, so I'm going to link a list of avian vets. They are listed by country and then broken down by city.

Avian Vet Resources

I hope your baby is going to be okay, please update us on how she's doing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts